Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New? Steely Dan Disc. Who's the bass player?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Scott Cutrer, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I havent bought the new Fagen Becker disc yet and was wondering if somebody could tell me who some of the players are. Very courious about the bass player?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. On "two against nature" Walter Becker plays bass on 6 tracks and Tom Barney plays bass on 3 tracks.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

New? 2 against nature has been around for nearly two years now hasn't it? Is there another one on the way?

5. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    No Bruce, it just takes me that long to get arround to New stuff!

6. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    OK, next question. Who is playing on the first tune, " Gaslighting Abby"? And what kind of axe? That is the sweetest tone I have heard since the first time I heard Nathan East on Anita Baker's "Compositions" album!

7. Gaslighting Abbie's now my number one PA tuning track. Unbelievable production. Tom Barney plays bass on that one. Beautiful bass sound....Beautiful everything sound!

8. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Wow, I think Tom Barney is my new favorite Bassist, and some nice guitar work, as-well-as bass stuff from Walter Becker. Very Nice!

9. Bruce Lindfield

I heard that the great sound was a lot to do with them using "Pro Tools" - digital recording. But I do also really like the bass tone and have mentioned this before on this very board!

10. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    On the Two Against Nature DVD (which is great, by the way) Tom Barney plays an ESP custom shop bass. I'm guessing that's what he used on the CD recording.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Tom uses a MM 5 , too.

I'd describe his recorded tone as perfect. Huge, deep AND punchy, expansive yet tight, with a little "something" on it:D

When I first got the CD I had a hard time getting past "...Abby", I could not believe the tone.

Nathan East on that Anita Baker session is like that too, along with later Baker projects with East and Anthony Jackson.

I really like the bass work Walter Becker did, too. I can really hear the Rainey/Jackson influence in his playing.

I think a lot of the credit should go to Roger Nichols. He's been putting down state of the art mixes with Steely Dan for decades. You can have all the tools in the world, you still have to know how to use them ;)

12. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Brad you are dead on man, I definately hear the big time Anthony Jackson vibe in Tom's playing. You must also have dug Fagen's first solo album, Nightfly! That was a who's who of great bassist!
    scott

13. szuless

szuless

Jul 3, 2006
    Tom uses the ESP a lot on tour. Tosses in a Celinder Custom 5 for some variety. He is quite possibly the best of the long line of versatile players out there. Those who have been humbled by his presence (i sort of like the guy, eh?) are Santana; Clapton; J Lo; Lauryn Hill; and of course Miles.

I had the pleasure of being front row center for The Dan a few years ago and carried on a conversation with Tom. We both slowly mouthed the words and had a blast!

14. JHL

JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    hm... I bet the people participating in this thread would have loved that info.... 5 years ago ;)

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Feh, doesn't hurt.

16. Bruce Lindfield

This thread was already "out of date", 5 years ago!! :eek:

17. szuless

szuless

Jul 3, 2006
    So I can't read dates. I'll take up a collection for new glasses.

18. JHL

JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    Hehe. Actually I appreciated the info... hadn't seen him with a Celinder.

19. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    He likes Celinder basses alot! He told me to check into them! He does play a stock ESP 5 string most of the time as he endorses ESP basses.