1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Steinberger, anybody tried?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bullshark, Aug 21, 2007.

1. I'm thinking of getting a Steinberger XT 4 string bass, specifically this one bought from this site: http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=047.

The idea is to have something small and easy to carry, but that keeps the 34" scale, so I can keep practicing when I travel. My worries is about built quality ie: it's a neck trough and, contrary to the original and impossible to find Steinberger, made of wood so if it were to warp then the whole bass is scraped.

Anybody owns or at least handled one of those?

2. Drucocu

Drucocu

Jan 24, 2007
    Hi,

I suggest, you triy one of the "Hohner B2ADB", IMO, the best steinberger copies you can get, far far better then the musicyo-sh*t

3. Rossman59

Rossman59

Apr 23, 2007
    Evanston, IL.
    I own a Steinberger Spirit XP I got 5 years ago and even though I've tried to replace it I end up coming back to it all the time. I can't seem to get rid of it.

It's not the best bass out there but I like it a lot. Has a nice neck, good balance and plays real well.

A couple of issues to consider,

This bass can be little heavy, around 9 lbs. If you use it with a 3" to 4" strap then the weight shouldn't be a problem.

Also, it stays in tune pretty good but is sensitive to weather changes (as in changes in the humidity). But all basses probably have this issue. And I'm pretty picky when it comes to how my basses are set up and stay set up, so many that wouldn't be an issue for others.

So if you can get a deal on one I think you should try one, you'll probably like it. Used can work just as well, even though they can many times cost as much or more than a new one. (Remember, YMMV.)

One more thing to consider.

There are a lot of headless basses out there that I've tried and have been very good. The Hohners that were suggested before look like a good choice. Another brand to consider is a used Cort. They've made most of the headless bass floating around out there since the 80s. I own two and love them. Great balance, weight and feel.

I love headless basses so just keep looking until you find one to pull the trigger on.

Let us know how this turns out and good luck on your quest.

4. The Hohner is probably very nice, but at twice the money it's completely out of budget for what is, to me, just an easy to carry practice bass.

Since Rossman59 has been playing one for 5 years, those musicYo thing must be at least durable enough for what I intend to use them for. I'll probably just order one.

Thank's for the replies.

5. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Thats exactly why I bought one last week...an XT-25...5vr. Its under my desk for lunch hour in the instruction forums. Its a bat. Still havent plugged it in....film at 11.

6. GibsonEB3

GibsonEB3

Jan 3, 2007
    Indiana
    So what's the verdict? This model has caught my eye, and since I can't go to Guitar Center and try one out, it would be a shot in the dark. Can they really make and sell a quality 5 string bass for $330?

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    If you want one, buy it NOW. Musicyo haven't had stock for months and it usually moves quickly.

I have an XL2 (graphite) and a pair of the Hohners, a B2ADB and a B2V. They are fine basses, mine are as solid as concrete, never adjusted in several years. One issue to consider is the neck strap pin is at the neck heel which can give odd balance issues. I hate them this way, but a $2 bracket and an extra small hole in the rear makes for a strap pin extender that moves it to the 12th fret, or wherever you find comfortable. Something similar to this.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46468&d=1164847818

The Hohners and the Spirits are made in the same factory. Hohner stopped production, so they're be no more once inventory stocks are gone, Spirits are available intermittently, depends if someone from Gibson gets their finger out of their butt or not. Because of availability issues, secondhand ones sell for more than Musicyo prices when there's no stock. Musicyo strings stink.

8. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    My 17 yr. old son's main bass is this one:
    WhiteStein5er.

The two Cort's here BOTH have maxed out trussrods. If you get one of those be VERY careful as the years seem to have tightened the nuts on many of those from the 80's. BOTH were bought for parts. One was made playable and is my son's first bass:
    CortSteinHo.

The other looks new but I've not "worked" on it yet.
    Cort2.

The REAL Steinberger rarely gets played and almost never goes to a gig.

ALL of them are good basses IMO.

The MusicYo one:
    Neck thru is ok....controlling sustain is better than not having any. Plus no dead/weak notes.
    Weight is a non-issue when you're used to LesPaul basses. These feel like no bass to me.
    The wooden ones will not sound like the real synthetic-bodied ones BUT they do sound good.
    Excellent travel bass and has survived gigbag travel since bought(son uses it in HS marching band).

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

As far as I understand, the newest addition to the Steinberger family of instruments is the Synapse, and according to the site, "it's an hybrid instrument, combining the rigidity, strength, clarity and definition of graphite with the warmth and beauty of wood". Maybe it's a better option for you.

10. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Initially, the strings where about 1/8" too high off the board and viewing the neck was straight and had perfect relief, I cranked down the bridge saddles to be real low.

Plays nice, thin neck, solid feel, 16.5MM spacing at the bridge, although I still havent plugged it in, (I'm using the dragonfly), the harmonics are very high.

I am finding the lack of body and headstock to be a struggle when playing sitting. I now notice that on any other bass I use my right elbow to steady the whole thing but with this the neck is not stable or anchored....causing me to grab the neck and fingering suffers. I must be holding it incorrectly...

Once I plug it in this weekend I'll report on the live sound.

11. I always wanted a steinberger, but have only ever played one and it cost more then my car. I also dont play in an 80's band which was kinda the reason why i wanted it.

12. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    First things first, there are multiple iterations of the Steinberger bass. The originals from the 80s were expensive and high-quality basses that are highly sought after today. I doubt the OP is in the price range for one of these.

The Steinberger Spirit series on MusicYo are wood-necked Steinberger import variants that are relatively inexpensive. I had a 5er some years back and it played and sounded ok, but the string spacing was too narrow for me. I would say it is worth the price to have a decent and very portable bass.

I dunno a thing about MusicYo's Steinberger USA series.

There is a new Steinberger out called the Synapse. It has a single pickup and a wood/composite neck. Mucho $. Probably much better than MusicYo's stuff.

Just my $0.02, if I wanted a headless bass just for kicks, there is nothing wrong with the Steinberger Spirits; just don't expect the old 80s Steinberger sound and feel. For my $, I would get a used Hohner from the 'bay. YMMV.

13. GibsonEB3

GibsonEB3

Jan 3, 2007
    Indiana
    Thanks for the reply. I'll watch for your update in a few days. I'm not sure this bass will be ideal for country/gospel/bluegrass/blues, etc, but I find the headless bass intriguing anyway.

14. Well, I'm gonna lay low on online ordering after a few bad experiences, and since none of the models in this thread are available locally...