1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Steinberger Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Up the dose, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
  2. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    Thank you Be eM. Some good info there. Not sure how I feel about the neck being not a full composite. The bass is almost 3k. Would it have really bumped the cost up that much to do a full composite neck?

3. Why bother with a composite neck? What's wrong with wood? The thing I don't like is how flat the upper horn looks.

4. Be_eM

Be_eM

Jul 27, 2013
    Bavaria, Germany
    Ned has a lot of experience with carbon reinforcement within the neck. First implemented in the Synapse series and the ZT3, it's now also present in the CR5 neck. So you've got the stability of a carbon neck, a phenolic fretboard like on old Steinies, and the look and feel of a wooden neck. Nothing wrong there.

5. The fretboard's phenolic!? ick! I'll stick to rosewood/ebony, TY.

6. GAS'ing for this bass!

7. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Can you really get an accurate setup with that type of bridge?

8. Be_eM

Be_eM

Jul 27, 2013
    Bavaria, Germany
    Do you really believe Ned would sell a bass in that price category if you couldn't?

Yes.

9. The correct answer is no. You can only get close with that type of saddle. You need individually moving saddles to be accurate.

10. Mark4

Mark4

Oct 21, 2007
    Yes and no. Even with individual saddles, intonation wouldn't be entirely accurate. Perfect intonation requires oddly spaced frets like this:

[​IMG]

Ned's design puts the overall intonation in the same ballpark as individual saddles. While a string or two may be slightly sharp or flat at the 12th fret, for instance, the intonation of individual notes can vary more than that difference up and down the fretboard.

11. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    Nothing at all wrong with wood, but the composite neck is a big component to the Steinberger sound. I owned an XM and loved the sound. I played a friends synapse bass and was not as impressed with the sound. I fear this bass is more like the synapse than the XM. I will reserve judgement till I play one though.

12. Be_eM

Be_eM

Jul 27, 2013
    Bavaria, Germany
    This might be a good idea. The CR5 is nowhere near a Synapse. The Synapse and ZT3 instruments were designed to be sold in a price range between the Spirit and the USA line, so they never were meant as a valid "Steinberger USA" successor. They are nice instruments, though (I own a Synapse guitar and a ZT3), but you really can't compare them. A different league in every single aspect.

13. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    Be eM you obviously have played the Radius, have you ever played an XM? and if so, Do they compare?

14. Be_eM

Be_eM

Jul 27, 2013
    Bavaria, Germany
    I own a Radius, an XM2, an XQ2T and an L2, but admittedly… I'm just a guitarist with a special faible for basses, so I'm probably not the one who can answer all the questions a "real" bass player might have. However, I have already played the XM2 on gigs (helping another band out), so I know a little bit what I'm talking about ;)

My experience with the Radius: it has all the things Steinbergers are famous for, especially the extremely balanced response all over the neck. No dead spots, very present in a band context, clearly audible no matter where on the neck you just play. I have also given it to the bass player of my band, so I could enjoy its sound while playing guitar myself. The combination of magnetic pickups, piezo plus active EQ gives more tonal flexibility than any of my other basses.

Regarding playability: it's my only 5-string bass, so a direct comparison might be difficult. Actually I find it EASIER to play, which may come from the combination of the wider neck with an extremely comfortable string action. I never had a Steinberger 5-string bass with a wide neck in my hands, so I can't directly compare them. The CR5 is lighter than the XM2, the shape is very comfortable too.

Bernd

15. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    Thank you for the great info. I will definitely be giving these a look and a listen when it comes time for my next 5 string!

16. naimth

naimth

Dec 7, 2013
    I just bought an NS CR5 Radius bass and it is AWESOME. Had to sell a beloved Modulus to get it but definitely worth it. Two huge thumbs up.