New Steinberger basses! (sort of)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Maybe I'm a little late here, but Steinberger has released the new Synapse basses and guitars. They look kind of interesting.

Here's a shot with one next to the old-skool style:

I kind of dig it.
  2. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Very cool bass. Looks a lot more ergonomic(sp?) than the old version, IMO.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow. A Steinie 5 with wide string spacing. I like!:cool:

Are they going to have a Steinberger Blend neck? Are they bolt on?
  4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    They're supposed to be a new type of hybrid neck:

They use some big fancy technique called pultrusion to make them.
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I hate stienbergers.
  6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Steinbergers don't care for you much either.
  7. Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    im not much for the steinberger bassguitars....but the ns uprights are HOT....
  8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    They play nice, but I could never own a headless bass... Just looks odd to me.
  9. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    <b>Last up was the XS-15FPA bass.* The first model Synapse basses will be 5 strings and feature a single EMG magnetic pickup located in the "sweet spot".* It will also feature a bass version of the piezo system & integrated adapter headpiece.</b>

Put me down for one of these!
  10. Much better than the original in my opinion.
  11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm just bummed that I didn't know about these at NAMM. I'd have loved to have gotten my hands on that 5 string. :(
  12. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Can I have one without paying for it? :D
  13. I want a steinberger. Just to have a really compact bass that I could bring anywhere.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Still ugly after all these years.
  15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    "erhaps the biggest innovation of the Synapse line is the CybroSonic™ neck.* The body of these instruments is a one-piece maple neck-through construction, but the neck combines composites with traditional materials to produce a "hybrid" neck - the sonic clarity and definition of graphite with the warmth of wood.* The composite core of the neck is made through a state of the art pultrusion manufacturing technique.* This allows for precise tolerances, quality and consistency in the material.* This composite/graphite core is mated to a custom designed truss system and then integrated into the maple neck-through Synapse instrument.* The neck also features a phenolic fingerboard which adds more stability and bite.* Again this hybrid neck system provides the stability & even tonal character of a graphite neck, but introduces the feel and warmth of a wood neck."

Dont forget that this is Gibson marketing bla. Might as well mean that the neck is graphite-reinforced one-piece maple with a truss-rod - which I think it says, in a much fancier way to sell these basses... :rolleyes:
    These might be nicer than the older model to some, but I'd still rather lug my big ol' 6-string around... I like my basses to have bodies and heads - maybe I'm too conservative and behind the times? :eyebrow:
    Anyway, Ben, go and get one and tell us how they are ;)
  16. the sweet-spot single pickup is interesting- as that's exactly the spot I put an extra humbucker in my Hohner B2A (wood-bodied Steinberger copy a la Steinberger Spirit).

with the strap extender the new bass should be more comfortable (easier to reach the 1st fret).

Status had plans to make a compact all-graphite headless (the "Smallhed") but this doesn't seem to have gone into production.
  17. Man! Put my ame down for one! HOT!
  18. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    fretless sixer pleeeeeeeeease :-D

is there a website? the steinberger link at goes to