Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Steinbergers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skorzen, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I am interested in these new post Gibson Steinberger Spirits. I am looking for something that is small, plays at least fairly well, and is not too expensive <400-500. I am looking basically for something I can take with me and carry around alot and not be too worried about how much I have invested in it.
    I have heard that the pickups on these are not very good and would plan on replacing them at some point down the line. the main question I have is does anyone here have expirience with these basses I have heard good and bad things about them and am looking for more opinions.

2. Hey, man, thought I'd oblige....A buddy of mine owns a new Steinie and I love the sound he's got outta his....They also play really well, once you get used to the size of the thing.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have two, and am very, very happy with their quality and value!

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    As an owner of two "real" Steinbergers I'll say you do get your money's worth with the Spirits. Pickups are actually pretty decent.

Pay a repair guy to dress the frets and set it up and it's a nice little axe (of course, back when they were being sold in stores for $700 they were WAY overpriced).

For a carry-around application they are perfect, that's why I bought my 'bergers.

5. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Thanks for the input. I will probably get on of these Spirits :D Any more opions are welcome.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    When I bought one of the Spirits, I thought I might change out the pickups too. But I think it sounds pretty good just like it is. Mine is older. There was no MusicYo when I bought mine, so I don't know if they are different now, but I don't believe that they are.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    POST Gibson?
    I never knew Gibson gave them up....

Several owners I heard had that idea about changing the pups. But never did, 'cause the standard are OK!
    I think they are a good deal, except for balance - neck heavy due to the upper horn length=0.

8. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    What I meant by post Gibson is those made after Gibson took over. As far as I know Gibson still owns the rights and has no intention of getting rid of them.

-Skorzen

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Sure, such a low price from a brand that has a good reputation is amazing...

Sure, wood has replaced graphite there, but anyway most basses are still made of wood, uh.

The only thing that makes me wonder is that, globally, the MusicYo.com catalog displays "low-end low-price" products, such as 15w amps and so on, and it makes me doubt about the real quality of these Steinberger's. They look fine, but...?

All the best,

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I have a spirit.. I think its a decent bass for the price.. It sounds good for Fingerstyle playing.. I could never get a good slap tone out of it... but for what you pay for it, its a neat little bass. :)