1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Sterling by Music Man basses for 2012 (NAMM)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tupac, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Image 1

Image 2

Lookin' good! A blue sparkle Ray34 and two 34CAs. On that note, can anyone tell me if the non-contoured bodies are comfortable? I tried a Thunderbird and it felt like I was getting stabbed in the gut.

2. EighthNotes

EighthNotes

Feb 12, 2007
    I've spent an hour or two with a Surf Green Ray34CA and I didn't realize it was non-contoured until just now. So it must be comfortable :D. Also, the edge are much more rounded than any Gibson.

3. pudgychef

pudgychef Supporting Member In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    grrrr wish they would do one of the Classic Active Ray 34s in standard Ray neck....

that blue looks sweet - love the matching headstock

4. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    I'm still waiting for them to slap a B string on that SB14 and make it an SB15.

5. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Harrisburg, PA
    Okay that cream/red-tort Classic Active just shot to the top of my Bass Want List.:hyper:

6. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I've spent a few months with mine and never really thought about it. You feel the edges on a Ric or a Gibson but not on the Stingrays or Ray34s because they're so rounded.

7. Evoke

Evoke

Dec 13, 2011
    NAMM_12.

NAMM_13.

8. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    Black Classic Active with Tort Guard!!!! Why do I have to have GAS for a dozen basses all at once.

9. I wonder if they'll offer that blue sparkle on their US made basses?

10. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    [​IMG]

Nice!

11. leftymike

leftymike

Sep 23, 2006
    Austin Tejas
    Any info on 2012 lefty basses?

12. pudgychef

pudgychef Supporting Member In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    as for the non-countoured comfort question: I have played a few hundred gigs on a US SUB (also not contoured) never noticed a comfort issue...well other than it being pretty darn comfy and easy to play...not quite Bongo easy to play...but darn good! :)

13. I'd be happy if they would update their website so I can checkout the 2012 lineup. Unfortunately, I've been after them for a couple of years to make a Lefty Ray 35, but I don't guess there is enough demand to justify it. I have a Lefty Ray 34, and never had any comfort issues.

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I hope the preamp is improved. I had an early five string and it sounded nearly like a MIA SR5. The last one I played in a store looked great, but the tone was far to harsh to play.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

To add to SBMM news, I saw mention of SBMM SUBs for less than $300.

16. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    Gotta get me one of those Shell pickguards for my Ray34 custom!