New Sterling???.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Irie01, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    Ok.I have finally made up my mind after a long comparison of the Stingray and sterling and I want to place an order for a new Sterling.What I am wondering is when the new Sterling with two pickups will be out, because it will take 4 to 6 months to get the sterling I want to order, but if the new one is coming out any time around that than I would probably want to wait. Could any one please tell me when the new Ernie Ball will come out and if anyone has any technical inf. about it or opinions please share it.I would like someome's advice on what I should do.
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

The 2-pickup bass from MM has been rumored for a while now (like 2 NAMM shows). It may come out for Summer NAMM. It may not. I've never seen any technical details of what it might be.

Soooo you can wait until this summer and see if it comes out. Then you can see if it's a 2 pickup Sterling or a 2 pickup Stingray. And if it's something you want then you can try to buy it - but sometimes things get announced at NAMM shows that aren't available in volume for a while.

Or you can order the Sterling of your dreams now.

Depending on what they decide to do and how it sounds you may not like a 2-pickup MM bass (the previous one put out didn't do well enough to stick around). You won't know until you get to try one.

There's always something new coming from someone - if you always wait for it you'll never buy anything. Then again, if you don't wait and really like it then you have to try and sell/trade-in the just-bought other thing. Only you can decide what's more important - having a Sterling ASAP or waiting until EB decides to put out the 2-pickup bass and deciding if you like it better than a Sterling.

You might want to check out a G&L L2000 or ASAT to see what a bass with 2 pickups similar to those in a Sterling might sound like. You can even get one of those with a jazz-size neck if you wanted (I'm a big fan of the G&Ls but you may not like 'em).
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Let's hope that it is not rumoured as long as the Parker Fly bass was!
  4. ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    A third option (though maybe more costly): Get the sterling now, then when the 2-pickup one comes out, get a wiring diagram (and new pickguard, though you cand probably do that one now,) and have a luthier install a second pickup.