Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Steve Lawson album available for advanced order!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Steve Lawson, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi all,

finally, advanced ordering is available for 'For The Love Of Open Spaces' -
    my duo CD with sax/flautist, Theo Travis. The release date is October 20th,
    but obviously, if we receive the CDs from the pressing plant before then,
    any advanced orders will be sent out ASAP!

If you do order the advance copy, there's a whole other CD of steve/theo
    material that comes with it. Called 'It's Not Gonna Happen', the additional
    album is 55 minutes long, and very good indeed! It was very nearly the album
    we released as the main album...

Anyway, the album can be ordered via Paypal/Credit Card by clicking the button
    below, or by mail order by sending a check/Postal Order/International Money
    order for £10 (UK pounds) payable to 'Steve Lawson' to -
    Pillow Mountain Records, PO Box 13788, London, N14 5WD, UK

Paypal button -
    <form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
    <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick">
    <input type="hidden" name="business" value="steve@steve-lawson.co.uk">
    <input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="For The Love Of Open Spaces (released Oct 20th 2003)">
    <input type="hidden" name="item_number" value="PMR-0014">
    <input type="hidden" name="amount" value="10.00">
    <input type="hidden" name="no_note" value="1">
    <input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="GBP">
    <input type="image" src="https://www.paypal.com/images/x-click-but23.gif" border="0" name="submit" alt="Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!">
    - For The Love Of Open Spaces - order now, released Oct 20th 2003
    </form>

hope you enjoy the new CD! We're loving it, which is a good sign. Have a
    listen to the two MP3s on the website, if you haven't already...

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The two mp3s sound wonderful Steve! Cheque is in the post.

PS. Theo is interviewed in the new issue of 'Jazzwise' about the influence of Tubby Hayes' 'Mexican Green'

3. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Thanks David!

I'll have to check out the interview with Theo - he's a great bloke, very fine player, and very knowledgeable about his craft, so any interview with him is going to be worth reading...

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

4. Another customer here... :)

Judging from what I've heard through the website and from what Steve let me hear when I was up for a lesson it's going to be a corker!! When is the expected due date?

Your skills in marketing, selling and distributing your work independently are really impressive Steve. My father-in-law is trying to sell a book of Haiku poetry by his father (it's a really great book by the way: http://www.renaissancepress.co.uk/) and so I am beginning to understand some of the difficulties in doing this by yourself. Kudos to you, chap!

All the best, and I hope the CDs arrive soon ;)

Mike

5. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Well, I'm just back from Checking the final version of the artwork, so it's all being sent off to Sony either tonight, or first thing tomorrow to be pressed!

The release date is Oct 20th, but if they arrive earlier, the advanced orders will be sent out, so they could be in the post for Street Team members by Oct 10th! :)

Thanks Mike! It is hard work, but I guess it all stems from the way I think of it - I try to think what are the things that inspire me to buy CDs? It's certainly not people who tell me that they are amazing. It's sometimes the format (ie solo bass), so I let people know about the albums who might be into that, it's sometimes the link with other players I like (.."oh, Michael Manring's on this one? I'll get that then!") so I'll send copies to people whose opinion I value and invite them to give me a quote about it (.."so, Andy West is into this guy's music? might be worth checking out"), and I try to provide insentives (like giving away free limited edition CDs with advanced orders, so it effectively becomes a double album for less than the cost of a normal album in Tower, with free postage worldwide! :) )

And all of that is not about convincing people to buy it, it's about getting them to hear it - people know what they like, don't need to be told it's genius, just need to be given a reason to take time out of their schedule to download the MP3s, check it out, and hopefully after that and reading my website, they feel moved enough to want to buy the CDs and support an indie artist... one of the great things that's happened in music lately is that the Major label backlash has pushed people towards wanting to support the little people... like me :)

So far it's working, and I'll take this opportunity to thank everyone who's ever bought a CD, come to a gig or written me an encouraging email - it's all hugely appreciated!

thanks

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Steve, oh great user of fret lines :)D ) are you shipping to the states ? I'd like to pick this up.

D

7. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Don - zen master of guessing where the notes are - :D

yup, with paypal it's free shipping to the US! :)

there are shipping charges with gemm.com, but the price is in USD, so it might be easier to deal with... make your choice! :)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net (details here)

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Done...

It better be in tune !;) :p

9. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I promise the intonation will be within at least one semitone either way of the right note at all times... :D

Anyway, I've just added another MP3 to my site - this time from the exclusive limited edition disc that you'll all get free should you order the CD ahead of time, so feel free to check it out, then order it! :)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Just ordered it. Can't wait to get it I guess i'll have to keep it in my cd player for a month solid like I did the others damn life's hard.

P.S. whats with all the new pics on your homepage that change every week or so and why aren't they posted in the photos section of the page. While we don't really want to see your ugly mug just love the way your basses look in all these arty photos.

11. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    here's hoping... ;)

your wish is my command - check the photo page on the website.

And if that's not enough, there's even Wallpaper available now for your desktop (1024/768 only at the moment) :D

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

12. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I can't seem to find them.

Thats not a bad little wallpaper the other pic was better though with all the blocks that was cool.

can we see some numbers on sales at all see how much pre orders contribute and whether we need to supply you with a gold record. Cos lord knows you deserve one.

cya later

13. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Steve,

in the photo area the link below the wallpaper says something about promo shots - that's where they are... :)

Sales? let's just say less than Britney, but more than Glenn Madiros is selling right now... :D

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah found it now but when you first posted they weren't on. But there nice some cool arty shots.

Sales less than britney, time to get off your arse pad your bra and show off you amazing dance skills.

Thanks for the pics its amazing when I post here and 10 mins later the artist has taken note and done it. You have a real loyalty to your fans you rule.

15. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    ...er, I think I'll stick with the blue furry jacket, silver nail varnish and occasional sarong... :D

why thankyou! Not sure if it's down to loyalty or just having some time on my hands that day... ;)

I certainly appreciate anyone who takes the time to listen to my music - I find it amazing when musicians seem to 'expect'everyone to listen to their stuff, as though the world owes them a living... If someone takes time out of their day to check out my music, that's great - if they dig it enough to part with their hard earned cash for a CD, and in so doing enable me to continue make these noises, even more so.

So, a big thanks to everyone who's already ordered the new CD - it makes the whole thing far more feasible to have a load of advanced orders helping to cover the costs.

And for those of you who haven't ordered yet, get in quick - there's one a few days left to qualify for the extra disc!

:)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net - ordering details here

16. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I saw Steve last night and so collected my copy of the new album and bonus disk. I'm only part way through the second track but I'm enjoying it so far... it's a shame I've got to head off for a meeting in a bit but then I'll have the rest of the day to keep it spinning.

I've only heard Theo's work before on the pre-release MP3's Steve put up on his site, but the two seem to fit well together.

Wulf

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Damn you! I've been sitting by my letter box waiting for it :bawl:

:D

18. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    So, you've got your internet connection set up by the letterbox? Interesting... ;) Anyhow, I think you'll find it worth the wait .

I'm going to spin the main disk a bit more and then check out the bonus one (It's Not Gonna Happen).

Wulf

19. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Right, all the advanced orders were posted out today - so not long to wait now, Steve... :D

hope y'all enjoy it! ;)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

20. This CD is pretty much on constant rotation around here at the minute. Stunning playing, great recording, fabulous feel. If you don't have it yet, then rush out and get it... Well, drop by one of Steve's many retail outlets and buy it. It's also top value given that if you order early you get a whole extra disc of music for free, for nothing, and at no cost whatsoever.

For those who heard "Conversations" this album is a little more immediately accesible, but still with the great ethos of playing live and working with "first takes". It's amazing what Steve and Theo have done when you think that it's all improvised.

Well done you diamond geezers! :D

Mike