Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Steve Lawson MP3

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Steve Lawson, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    whoops, there I go again talking about myself in the third person...

anyway, just added a new mp3 from my new CD, which will be out mid October, is called 'For The Love OF Open Spaces', and is a duet CD with sax/flautist Theo Travis (check out theo's other stuff at www.theotravis.com - he's fanastic).

The MP3 is called Uncle Bernie, and is a 4and a half minute segment from the middle of a 8 minute track. All bass and sax, improvised and looped in real time, no additional whatevers...

hope you enjoy it, post reviews here, by all means...

The album will be available for pre-ordering within the next couple of weeks.

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net/home.htm - it's in the MP3s section, obviously

2. SCHWEEET! I must say based on the clips I've heard of you and Theo "doing your stuff" I'm really looking forward to hearing the rest of the album. If we order early do we get an extra CD of outtakes, bloopers? You playing sax while Theo plays bass? ;)

3. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    HI Mike

really glad you like the MP3s! There will almost certainly be an addition CD for those who advanced order it - more details on that ASAP!

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It does sound good - pretty mellow without diving too deeply into smooth jazz cheesiness ;)

Wulf

5. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Phew, I'm glad we avoid smooth jazz cheeziness, though the airplay royalties from Jazz FM would be nice... or should that be niiiice... ;)

Mellow is what we're aiming for... :)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If you've got one or two shortish tracks on there, I think it could fit quite, er, smoothly into JazzFM's programming - if you send them a promo CD we'll all write in requesting it ;)

Wulf

7. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    ...maybe I'll just have to do a CD of radio edits to send out as well... ;)

As you'd expect, the tracks are up to the usual 10 mins + level for the most part... :D

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    howardk is here to tell you that smooth jazz cheesiness is the way forward

also, howardk would quite happily label that track cheesy smooth jazz and pay good money for it! nice guitar part by the way :cool:

dont ever be afraid of what come naturally steve, if cheesy jazz is your destiny then so be it.

lovely vibe tho, very atmospheric indeed - must be great to just get that loop ticking over and start jamming, maaan :)

9. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Oh dear, Howard appears to have been taken over by the spirit of Craaaaig Daaaavid.

Anyway, to extract a sensible point from your post (not the easiest of things to do, I might add) - that sensation of getting the loop jus' right is a very pleasing one. When you get into a groove and it just sails. It's kind of neccesary with the way I use loops, as I tend not to change things around too much as it goes on, so the initial loop has to be up to the job. If you're chopping at changing stuff around, like say Andre LaFosse does with guitar, then I guess you could get away with it being slightly less magical, as the overall effect is so much more diverse. (in Andre's case, he gets it right both ways - fascinating cut up approach and great sounding loops to be cut up - see www.altruistmusic.com for more on him...)

Anyway, there'll be another track up from the album before too long (the street team already have access to it, but I'll move the link across to the main site soon...)

BTW, I found out last night that you can get my CDs from www.hmv.co.uk and from www.tower.com - bass looping goes mainstream... ;)

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    If that statement were totally unjustified, I'd resent it.

I've been a playin' with my boss looper a fair amount of late to write 'bits and bobs' and 'stuff' and I must say it does get easier - playing loops in time the first few weeks of the box were hellishly difficult.
    It's still horribley revealing mind... "sheet, did I play that?!!" :rolleyes:

Another thing I've noticed is that no matter how hard I try to play what I wouldnt usually play, jaming with the loop box is still not as much fun a jamming with someone else :( it just lacks that inspirational element that someone else ideas have on your playing

11. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    ...and herein we hit on another foundational element of musical satisfaction - work to the strengths of the parameters within which you work, stretch them, bend them, break them if you want, but don't lament one thing not being another.

It would be equally true to say that playing with other musicians lacks the control and consistency that you can get with looping, or that using real instruments lacks the digital precision and otherworldly quality that you can get by manipulating programmed synth sounds.

Each has it's own strengths and weaknesses, and its' when you ditch one for not being another that you miss out on the magic of what you're doing at that time...

So with looping, use the consistency, use it as an opportunity to play stuff you'd never play elsewhere, to experiment with backwards ideas, or with weird timing things (the stretchy approach to time that I employ when I'm looping would be very hard to get away with if i was working with a drummer...)

Allow it to be what it is, dear boy.. :D

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

12. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    i have been told :rolleyes:

you're absolutely right of course.
    that's just my take on it - where my personality and looping don't get on... I'll sit there for two hours or so playing about, get to about the same stage with a piece each time, then start something new next time i sit down.

Only a good one... a crap one wouldnt even notice :D

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This reminded me of when I was in the music shop in Brighton - there were these two guys trying to loop a sample of the bass line to Pink Floyd's "Money" and they were realy annoyed - they were going : "it's alway one out, I can't understand it" - string of expletives!!

I eventually got the idea that they were trying to sync the 7/4 bass line to a 4/4 programmed drum track - I walked out laughing!! ;)

14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    ...and hours laters the box probably ended up in pieces all over the floor!

15. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    fair play - it may just be that it's not how you're hearing music right now, in which case your looper becomes a great practice tool...

but for the sake of rambling, there are ways of using your mental block creatively - if the standard approach to looping doesn't work - what other ways are there of using the process of recording material as you go along and retriggering it that do work for you? you can use it to sample a line so that the second time round you can harmonise it, or you can sample just a chord that you re-trigger at different points, you can loop a melody line which you then change the harmony against. Or start with something very simple indeed and just get used to building the parts up really slowly and subtley as a exercise in arrangement!

Lots of fun to be had... ;)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

16. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    You may well be right. I have a tendancy to like strong changes between sections in a song/piece of music - and making that happen with a loop box is very difficult - it requires a lot of input that I havent really given it yet. With a band you can "just" drop the guitar part, or change the bass line or drum pattern and it makes a huge difference... but on your own with just bass... tricky

I use it to play with about harmonies a lot actually, and to put down parts of songs I'm writing to create melodies or basslines to.

the idea of playing a melody and changing the harmony is gooood, interesting - that might well be the spark I was looking for - it's difficult to play a chord progression over several bars on bass and maintain a distinctive sound - at least I find it hard - maybe starting with the melody is the way to go? :meh:

nice one steve, ta :)

I think the other thing I'm doing "wrong" is that I'll usually make my original idea too complex.. if I kept it simple there'd be more room for other parts... dynamics are also tricky - I notice the loop in your latest mp3 had the wah guitar part, a sort of staccatto lawson-esque bass line and some jazzy chords with chorus/delay(?) going on as well - all at different levels in "the mix" - very cool I must say.

17. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK

..looks like you need an Echoplex - then you can do verse, chorus, bridge etc. and switch between them either at the end of each section or immediately depending on how you set it up. you can also add parts and then take them away again, or have stuff fading out while you add other things in... It rocks, basically... :)

keeping the loops simple is very key, or at least, leaving space in the mix for whatever's going on over the top. If you have a listen to 'Not Dancing For Chicken', you'll hear that one of the tracks only has a D and an A in the loop all the way through, just a root/five interval. I let it slowly fade and then overdub it again as the track goes on to give it a sense of movement. 'Danny And Mo' is another track that has a very sparse backing track. A lot of them do on there. 'MMFSOG' is a lot more busy, which is one of the reasons why the melody is played with a 12 string emulation patch, adding a note an octave higher than where I'm playing the tune, to get it over and above all the business...

have fun!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

18. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Stop it, my wallet aches atthe thought...

...I just bought a Line6 Filter Pro - I couldnt resist - I read mixed reviews about it, but so far I think it rocks! I heard tales of poor latency and tracking of synth sounds, but I've not experienced them so far and I've spent a good 5 hours going through all the settings and tweaking as much as I could between marvelling at the weird noises!!!

I've just been at home with my dad for lunch (electronics buff) ridding my set-up of an earth loop (grrr!). all sorted now.

i had the box wired in series, but tried in parallel for the sake of testing and it sounded great! 50/50 blend between clean tone and synth sounds - FAT with a capital FUH!

Some Bidgie Reef tracks need some weird bass effects so I got on the case :)

19. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Well...I was originally thinking *two* DL4s, but now I'm fascinated by this Echoplex. I'm lightyears away from getting to the point where I think I could really make creative use of one, as currently my incipent loop-mania (loopiness?) (loopacity) is well-served by the Little Line 6 That Could, but while working on a piece last night I did, in fact, have the thought of 'Egad! Just think what I could do with another DL4! I could have *gasp* independantly triggered A and B sections.'

Now I realize that this is, perhaps, painfully obvious to anyone with half a brain, but I'm a little thick, so bear with me. Up until now I've been so besotted by the sheer possibilities afforded by a single looping unit that the idea of multiple units simply failed to occur to me.

One day...one day...

Really, really enjoying the new tracks Steve...I anxiously await a pre-ordering option.

J.

20. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Justin

really glad you're enjoying the tracks - thanks for your kind words!

It does sound like what you need is an Echoplex - it rules, seriously. You can get them for about $800 now - there's a shop in upstate NY that's doing them, and a place called Bananas At Large in NorCal that has them in, as well as at least one of the big chains (support the little people if you can...!)- google it and see what you find.

Ordering details ASAP... ;)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net