Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Steve Lawson solo album - order now!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Steve Lawson, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi all,

just to let you know that my brand new all-solo CD will be out at the end of the October, and can be ordered now (if you're in the UK, by post - Credit Card ordering will be added by early next week) - there are snippets from five of the tunes there in MP3 form - those will change next week, and there'll be a whole song there before long too...

I'm really excited about this album - the reaction from people who've heard it has been very positive thus far... :)

lemme know what you think!

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

2. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Oh, and I forgot to mention that if you order it before it comes out, you get a whole free album - very limited edition, called 'Lessons Learnt From An Aged Feline Pt 1' - that's over an hour long as well!

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Blimey that was quick, you were only working on it last time you mentioned it!

I'll try to pick a up a copy, plus conversations, at my next lesson I expect and I'll check out the empytrees this arvo.

:)

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    1234 brokenlead is great.. i love all the backwards bass and piano chords towards the end, nicely haunting.

Highway1 is damned cool too, really interesting and VERY different to your last CD. I dig the weird noises etc, really my bag actually!
    It kind of reminds me of sort of coldcut, dj food, dj shadow type weird stuff. I reckon it would go down a bomb with djs as a piece for mixing over nasty beats! I'll play to a mate of mine who has CD mixers, I reckon he'll dig it.

5. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    thanks howard - didn't know that you didn't already have Conversations, I'd have hassled you more if I'd known that... :)

The new album is a pretty good blend of the technology of the first CD (moved on a bit), with the aesthetic of the second one, with some very hummable tunes thrown in! :)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah, I bet you would! ;)

I recently started programming chords into a free synth piano i got from the web (it's actually really good!) to practice playing differnt keys etc over and realised what a fantastic combination electric bass & piano was. Then i remembered about conversations..

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I will be ordering all your albums in a couple of weeks when I get back to england make sure you save me a copy of 'Lessons Learnt From An Aged Feline Pt 1' Can't wait to hear these cd's

The Mp3 samples sound amazing (As you would expect)

I'm planning to go to one of those level 42 gigs now but was a bit dissapointed to see your not playing in Manchester.

Good Luck on tour.

8. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Tayste, I'm sure I'll see you at one of the gigs, don't worry...

CD set aside for you... special South American concession... :D

see you soon

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk (gig dates and album details)

9. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    The credit card ordering via my website is now up and running - remember if you order before the release date, you get a second album - 'Lessons Learned From An Aged Feline Pt 1' free. It's a very limited edition signed and numbered release of mainly ambient stuff... There are samples from 'Not Dancing For Chicken' on the site if you want to have a listen.

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

10. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Oh Yea!
    You know I will be ordering one today! Really intersting snips on your site, Steve. Your constant creativity never ceases to amaze and inspire me.

And...congrats on the Level 42 Tour! That's one small (well, rather large) step for solo bass......
    ...and it could not fall to a more deverving player.

Best wishes,
    Max

11. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

oops...that should have read "deserving"!

I am glad I can play bass better than I type!

Nonetheless...just ordered the CD(s), Steve...and again congrats!

A great day for solo bass!
    Max

12. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Thanks very much for that Max, it means a lot! I really hope you enjoy the CD as much as I've been enjoying yours over the last few months...

namaste

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Steve - I must admit to not having heard your playing before, but I just listened to some clips from your site - I'm impressed! And even more impressed to discover that you're in the south of England and you give lessons...

I've been thinking of having a few lessons (improve my technique & sound, and general advice), and the monthly 2hr lesson thing looks like it might be good (I've not had lessons on bass before) and I like your approach, from what I've seen on your site - so you might be hearing from me sometime over the next few months!

moley

14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    moley - do it! Steve is fantastic teacher and also a very inspiring musician. I thoroughly enjoy my lessons (in fact I usually end up playing my bass well into the small hours after every lesson experimenting with whatever new thing I've learnt - something i havent done since i first started playing!)
    My playing has improved leaps n' bounds in the last 9 months or so since I start having lessons. I have them mostly on theory, which I guess you wont really need coming from a more tutored background, but I'm sure Steve can teach you a thing or two technique wise also! :)

The rates are good (a bargain in fact), and a monthly lesson will certainly give you plenty to work on!

15. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Steve is willing and able to structure the lesson so it's totally suited to each students needs. A mate of mine who is learning bass having played classical guitar for years (hello Martin if you are reading this) has lessons with Steve that are different to mine (having played for 20yrs with bad habits).

Steve also works with my way of working which is to have lessons every couple of months.

I noticed on Monday that I'm now using the techniques that Steve taught me on lesson one, subconciously. No hand cramps!!!

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Wow, it seems everyone has something good to say about Steve's teaching. Steve, you may have found yourself another student!

17. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Ah, the Sexton/King advertising team works their magic... ROTFL... :D

Email me offlist and we'll sort something out, but be warned, I'm gigging like a mad thing til the end of November... ;)

steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

18. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Invoice in the post ;)

19. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well, it wouldn't be until early next year I reckon, when I've got my finances sorted out, so I'll email ya a bit closer to the time

20. moley has just been subjected to a collective "mugging" by the Steve Lawson Street Team. No wonder they're called that... They're vicious! :D

Thirds on the recommendation of a lesson with Steve though.