Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Sting! - "Sacred Love"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by moley, Sep 10, 2003.

1. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    So Sting has a new album coming out on the Sept 22nd - just under two weeks time.

Has anyone heard the first single - "Send Your Love"? I quite like it. Not one of my favourite Sting songs, but I like it.

There are clips from some of the songs on the website - www.sting.com - they're only short (and poor quality), but I think it's gonna be good.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw an advert for him appearing on Top of The Pops this week! But really - does he need any more money, or is it just about boosting his "street cred"/ego - like appearing with Craig David - "hey I'm one of the kids"!! I'm still trendy!

Smacks of desparation to me!! Grow old gracefully!! :D

At least Andy Summers has the good sense and good taste, to play Jazz in small groups and clubs!! ;)

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I don't like what he did with Craig David. I'm surprised he agreed to sing that song with him. They simply took the opening phrase of Sting's song "Shape Of My Heart" (which is great) and turned it into a forgettable Craig David song.

The one he did with Craig David isn't on Sting's album.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Hearing new Sting material makes me miss the Police even more.

What about that thing Sting did with Puffy a few years back? Was that for street cred as well? Is Sting down with all the hip-hop artists now as well?

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I agree with Basstriaxis.

It makes me miss the Police even more.

6. what about the Sugababes song that also used "Shape of my heart", and was released at around the same time- ridiculous.

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    If you're talking about the "I'll Be Missing You" thing, I don't think Sting was involved - they just took a sample from Every Breath You Take.

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yup! I think that was made first, I was aware of it before I was aware of the Craig David one. I couldn't believe two of those teen pop acts had both sampled the same song like that.

The original song, I really like - but I don't like what they did with it - it doesn't retain the spirit of the original, and it beats me how they can call that songwriting.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm in your camp.
    Sting has settled quite nicely into the Adult Contemporary market...

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Actually, Sting was the one who authorized use of the sample. Then he appeared on some award show with Puffy doing his crazy dance while Sting sang the chourus (which Puffy didn't use in his version).

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well of course, yes, he had to have authorized the sample. I don't believe he was involved in making it though.

12. Andy Summers was complaining (in the recent Sting/Summers/Copeland interview that was in Guitarist magazine, and probably several others too) about Sting getting the songwriting credit and thus royalties (not sure about whether Summers actually gets nothing at all for the sample) for "I'll be missing you" when it's really Andy Summers' guitar riff that makes the song.

but Andy Summers online lesson at Guitar.com was really dull and uninspiring- his guitar didn't even seem to be in tune...

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It is a good point, about the guitar riff. I'm not sure though, whether Summers himself came up with the actual riff, or whether sting did. I remember a TV interview with Sting when he had an acoustic guitar and he showed how he came up with that song, and he played the riff (or something like it) on guitar. But whether that means he composed the riff originally or not, I don't know.

14. I think Andy Summers came up with the riff - he says Sting just had the chords, and he added what he calls the "stacked fifths" riff (root, fifth, ninth, tenth?).
    there's a similar riff in "message in a bottle".

I might dig out an old Guitar Player mag with an interview with him.

15. Wife and I absolutely dig "Ten Summoner's Tales"

You want some groove?

#4 Heavy Cloud No Rain
    #10 Something the Boy Said
    #11 Nothin 'bout Me

The whole cd is brilliant IMO. Probably the number one favorite that wife and I both like to hear.

Is the new cd anything like this one?

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ah, in that case - yes, I agree, Andy should have got something for it. In both cases (the original and the Puff Daddy one), that riff is central to the song.

And yes, IIRC, it's mostly root 5th 9th and 10th.

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    We'll have to see - I'll post a review when it comes out.

But yes, Ten Summoner's Tales is a brilliant album, I agree.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    And he played it very well, too. :)

19. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Sting is a fluffy little man now. I love the Police. Sting's 1st three records were fantastic. After that...:(

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's what he looked like on Top of the Pops (UK TV Show) last night! ;)

But I quite liked the song - or maybe it just sounded better in the context of so much dire music!! I was disappointed though, that he had no live basist with him, although you could clearly hear what souned like bass guitar..:(

I can't remember anything about the actual song now though..