1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"new" stingray fretless reviews??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blakelock, May 12, 2011.

1. blakelock

blakelock

Dec 16, 2009
    hi,
    these newish fretless stingrays look sweet (found here). i think they jsut started shipping recently. anyone have one? thoughts?

2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I've always liked MM fretli - kind of a cool tone/vibe. The one thing with that is I wish it had a mid control. If you're going to go active with a fretless, having mid is where it's at.

3. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, if you're into the way most people think of fretless ("I want moar mwahhh") I guess. I could do without it most of the time. I tend to run flat.

Plus, don't MMs have a mid control these days...?

4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I have to say that the fretless Stingray I had back in '96 was THE BEST sounding fretless I ever owned....and I've owned maybe 7 fretless basses over the years. I kept getting rid of them because they just didn't have that tone I loved. One day I might get another SR fretless...

5. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    The MM fretless (at least that one) are 2-band. I actually don't do the mwahh/Jaco thing much (example here - that is fretless). Mid isn't just about that. For me it is the critical control at a gig when I need to change the character of the bass or where it sits in a mix.