Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Stingray is BUZZING!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by funkysurfer, Jun 5, 2001.

1. I just got my new stingray from Musicians Friend and it is buzzing big time. I adjusted the truss to get it to stop its buzzing and to also lift the action. After doing this the kneck was way to bowed up towards 1st - 3rd fret area. I know it is ideal to have a flat, straight kneck. So I called Ernie Ball (Customer Service) and they said it comes with factory settings and all I should have to do is turn the truss rod. Not so. He also said the string height should not have to be adjusted. However I raised the height anyway, got the kneck almost flat and its seems like the saddles sit pretty high. After doing this I eliminated most of the buzz., but something still doesn't feel right.
    Has anybody else experienced these problems? If so what should I do?
    Thanks in advance,
    Shawn

2. Maple Fretboard?

If so you just described the reason I sold mine.
    I had mine adjusted 3 times, the adjuster said it sounded fine to him. I pluck the strings real hard so the maple fretboard brought to much of that out.
    I bought my in a GC, I liked the tone when I first purchased it but as time went on I didn't, sold it about 3 months after I fell in love with it.

Hope you end up with a better experience.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No, a flat straight neck is not what you want, actually. You need some relief for it to play correctly. This is very easy to do on a 'Ray. Start by adjusting relief via trussrod so you can slide a credit card between the lowest string at the 9th or 10th fret. Then adjust the saddles so the strings match the curvature of the fretboard. Take your time, relax and don't panic. This is not rocket science but it does take a bit of doing to get things right. There's almost assuredly nothing wrong with your instrument, it just needs a proper setup.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Relief is "forward bow." if you hold the bass pickguard up and look down the neck, it should arc slighty up.

Fret the bass at the first fret with one hand and the last fret with the other. Check the string distance from the frets at the 11th or 12th fret. If the relief is correct, it should be about 3/32-1/8". This should be done with all the strings in tune.

Then adjust each string saddle as low as you like or until it buzzes.

If the strings buzz at the low frets (first, second, third or so) you haven't given the neck enough relief. If they buzz at the high frets, you have given it too much. (or your saddles are too low)

If the buzzes are isolated to one string and/or fret, you may need to file the fret.

Lastly, remember that you will need to re-set the intonation as you adjust the truss and saddles. If you are going for superlow action, it may take you two or three rounds of adjustment to get both the action and intonation exactly as it should be.

Chas

6. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I just had the same problem with a Sterling, also new. I took it to a local tech and every time I picked it up, it was worse than before. Do these guys listen? Because the second time I picked it up, he said, "I think you're going to like this." And when I played it, it was buzzing all over the place. The first time I took it in, it was only buzzing on a couple of frets--around the ninth fret on the D and G strings. So what started out as a minor nuisance became a major problem, so much so that EB is putting a new neck on it for me as we speak, which I'm paying for because the tech really made a mess of things adn voided the warranty with his hamfisted attempts at luthiery work. EB has been very helpful, though, and I'm sure you'll get the problem rectified. Just continue to talk to them; they'll help you with doing the adjustments over the phone if you're nervous (I wish I would have tried mine myself instead of going the route I went). Good luck. Just don't let any local yokels pull frets or sand your neck. Work with EB first.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Maybe misery loves company, so I'll mention - I've seen fret noise and buzzing mentioned most often by Ernie Ball, Ibanez, Wal, and Carvin LB (including me), owners.

The only solution most of us have found is really a non-solution, (short of selling/returning it); adjust the bridge, saddles, pickup height, and neck relief at the best compromise between noise and playability, either by yourself or a tech.

We still don't end up with a solution, just a compromise we can live with.