New Stingray OLP's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flywheel, Sep 11, 2003.

1. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    Has anybody seen the new OLP Stingrays? I've been emailing OLP since I've heard so many good things about their Stingray clones to find out if they'll be offering any new colors.

Their new 4 string models are going to offer a natural finish w/ tortise shell pickguard and the body will be made of Elm. Their other colors are going to have rosewood fretboards but the naturals are going to continue to have maple boards.

I'm thinking these natural OLP's will be great basses for the price since the body will be Elm instead of Basswood.

I'm even thinking about getting one for fun and modding it with different hardware and possibly a SD Basslines PUP.
  2. Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    That's great to hear, I like the OLPs, but I'm not a fan of maple fretboards.
  3. I also think thats cool, I think I'm one of the few who think OLP's are great basses and not just for the price, and I feel they get the stingray tone fairly well.
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    What makes elm suprior to basswood? Why don't other manufacturers use elm?
  5. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I don't know that Elm would be superior but I just figure it would be more dense. I don't like real light basses b/c they don't seem to sustain as well.

The only reason they're probably using Elm for the naturals is that Basswood would surely look terrible in a natural finish.
  6. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    These are the ones I was talking about the other day:

OLP Stingray on Ebay

Does anyone know how good Elm would sound for a body??? I don't know much about wood but I know my MM Stingrays are pretty dense b/c they're both Ash and my Dillion Ray body is made of Maple. They all sustain awesome. I'm curious how Elm would work though.
  7. Wow...thats nice looking,too bad I got my mind set on a jazz:)
  8. I thought they always used elm for the natural finish.

Basswood would not look good at all in natural, its kinda greenish.

THe 4 string OLP are much better then the 5 string version, but they dont even compare to the real thing. They arent even active, which I feel contibutes much to the stringray tone.

That and the ones I played didnt even play decently, and the fretwork was very rough.
  9. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    They have always used Elm for the natural finish, but the MM2 (four string) wasn't available in natural until now. They used to have MM2's in black and pearl blue and the MM3 (5'er) was available in black and natural.

Still interested to find out about the sound of Elm... anybody have a natural MM3? I can't think of any other companies producing Elm bodies.
  10. does anyone know when the OLP spector basses come out...i will be interesting to see if they are any good
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I played one a couple of days ago. Pretty darn good for the price. I played the 5 string with the passive EMG pickups. It was pretty punchy for a passive bass.
  12. Pete how much do they cost in Aussie $$$$$
  13. hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    I've owned one of these, a 4 string. I can promise you: It's as playful as any playboy-model, and it sounds killer! You can't get that much bass for that price from anyone else.

The reason I had to sell it was I had to get money to afford a Fender Jazz Bass.
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The Spector OLP 5 was $799 and the 4 string was $100 cheaper. Those are Recomended Retail prices so you should be able to get em cheaper.
  15. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    OLP or SUB?
    Any thoughts?

I have been getting no work done at all, all I do is read all this stuff. I will get fired soon if I continue to dream bass. I need a reality check!

oooooohhhhhhhhh - ooooooooo- aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

16. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

tis' true... OLP has always used Elm for the natural finish 5 string. Now you can get a natural as a 4 string.

I came to the opposite conclusion... I much preferred the 5 string model over the 4.

I am thinking about picking up a natural 5-string when the new models arrive (w/ tort pickguard, other enhancements).

Nice instruments for very little $$$. Believe it or not, I prefer the FEEL of the OLP to a S.U.B., although the S.U.B. did sound better.

17. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If it were me, it would go Stingray, Sub, OLP Spector, OLP Stingray in that order.
  18. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    As I stated in the beginning of this thread, the new OLP's in colors are going to have rosewood. I didn't know they were also going to have ALL black hardware. I've always been curious what a Stingray would look like with black hardware. I really like this look!

black OLP

19. MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    What is the Spector olp?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't think OLP actually made a spector so i assumed it was something else. Guess not! I checked ebay. Sorry for my laziness.