1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New strap pin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by badbassist345, Sep 13, 2008.

1. badbassist345

badbassist345

Sep 10, 2008
    I own a used squier pbass.
    The first thing I noticed when it arrived was that the screw for the strap pin was loose. At the time I thought nothing of it and just screwed it back in.
    Unfortunately the problem has escalated in the past few weeks because the hole has lost its threading I.E. the screw just falls out.
    [​IMG]

Now, I'm wondering if I can just drill another hole above it without any harm done.
    [​IMG]
    If anyone has experience with something like this please post!

2. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    hammer and a big nail :D

try wood glue and toothpicks to put it back in. if that doesnt work drill it out fill the hole and re drill for the screw.

3. Jazlikethat

Jazlikethat

Feb 25, 2008
    Haha fear not I had the exact same problem when installing strap locks. Here's a great solution that will hold the screw nice and solidly. After I fixed my bass with it, I've also used it to fixed drawers and other stipped holes around the house.

What you will need:
    Toothpick or wooden shish-kebob stick (better)
    Pocket knife
    Wood Glue (optional)

Take the pocket knife and cut the wooden object into slivers. Take all the slivers and keep cramming them into the hole until you physically can't fit any more in. Then take the knife and slice off all the extra sliver material sticking out of the hole. Once this is done screw the screw in and it'll be nice and stuck (job completed). For extra security, you can try putting some wood glue into the hole first, but the guy who told me this trick vouches that it's not necessary.