Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Streamer Stage 2 compared to old Streamer Stage 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hipnotic, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Hipnotic

Hipnotic

Feb 26, 2002
    CT/NY U.S.A.
    What do you guys think of the new Warwick Streamer Stage 2's compared to the old ones. I believe the new ones use ovankol in place of wenge. I haven't played a newer one yet so I'm curious how close they are to the old ones. Thanks.

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I have played both, and to tell you the truth, the newer ones with the Ovangkol necks are pertty close in sound to the Wenge necked ones. Being that I didn't play them right after each other, I can't say for sure, but they really do sound very close. The Wenge is defintley a nicer looking wood, but it also splinters much easier which was the reason that Warwick stopped using it as a neck wood. I actually know of a guy that sent his bass back because his neck was splinterring, and Warwick ended up taking care of the problem. I guess it happended more frequntly than one might guess. If your looking for that Stage II sound, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a newer one as they certainley will get the job done. But, if you're like me, and a sucker for Wenge, then you'll have to have an older model. The only problem with that is that it's tough to find the older models these days.:meh:

3. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I heard that dirk lance prefers the sound of his new Stage II to his old ones (he had stopped using the old ones).

I had a wenge necked thumb for a while, and i have to say i prefer the feel of the ovangkol.

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I personally think ovangol is pretty close to wenge in thickness and mass and such things that affect the sound, but it looks and feels bit different. You could say that wenge is more grainy and bit closer to gloss finish, where ovangol is smoother and more like satin finish.

5. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Dirk(Alex)really does prefer the newer ones. There no question about it either that the Ovangkol is smoother than the Wenge.

6. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I prefer the necks on the older ones. They feel slimmer to me.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I prefer the feel of the ovangkol to wenge as a neck wood. I owned an FNA4 with a wenge neck, and after that a Streamer LX Jazzman 5 with an ovangkol neck, and to me, the Streamer had a much sleeker feel. The wenge seemed to feel a bit rough to me.

As far as the SSII's go, I have also played both older and brand new models. I didn't get to play one after the other either, but I did remember thinking there wasn't too much difference. Actually, the SSII's are the only Warwicks that I really like (and I have tried to like a lot of them, to the extent of buying a couple). I just haven't been able to justify spending the dough on one, yet.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I like the weight of the newer ones, but the solid sound of the older ones.

9. What differences in tone and feel would you all say regarding the SSII vs. the neck-through Spector basses. They look very similar, but what about sound and feel?

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I've owned two Streamers (Pro M, LX) with the all wenge neck / fingerboard and prefer them slightly over the newer ovangkol models. I've never had a problem with splintering, but it does require monthly treatment. I rub out the wenge with Minwax finishing wax and a Scotch-brite pad to smooth the grain.

Riis

11. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Spector was the first one to come up with the shape but they sound totally different. The Spector is brighter and more agressive sounding but not in a good way to my ears. I never played a Spector that I liked. From the laminated neck to the fat necks. Just my opinion Warwicks just sound better!

12. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
  13. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I would rather own a newer one just for reliability though!

14. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Agree! But if you dig em, that's cool too.

15. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
  16. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    No, Warwick discontinued usage of Wenge for other reasons so they say. They claim it had to do with basses coming back on warrenty for splinterring with the Wenge. I'd say that's possible, but I'm sure the cost of Ovangkol is less than Wenge, so in the grand scheme of things, going to Ovangkol was going to drop overall cost.

17. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Interesting. A handful of luthiers, other than Warwick, continue to use wenge or wenge-based laminates for neck construction. What kind of track record do they have?

Riis