1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New String Buzzing at the Nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jaxetarr, Jan 31, 2018.

1. jaxetarr

jaxetarr

Mar 12, 2013
    i just changed string on my Fender P bass MIM, and there is a buzzing on the A string when I play it open. There was no buzzing prior to this.

I discovered it is coming from the nut where the string makes contact. I can silence the buzzing if I dampen it. I want to eliminate the buzzing. What can be done?

Btw- The previous A string was a 80, and the new one is 85.

Thanks

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You don't have enough wraps around the tuning post. You need it wound all the way down for a proper angle coming off the nut.

Bass Man Dan, lz4005 and Spidey2112 like this.
  3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Yep... a quick solution is to press slightly downward on the suspect string, toward the headstock, between the nut and the tuners... thanks for mentioning you went up in gauge, also... how tight is the A, in that slot?

I think this happened with me (B string, though), when I replaced the nut on a build I had done. Once the angle was 'created', no more open string buzz...

4. jaxetarr

jaxetarr

Mar 12, 2013
    Muchas gracias. As I restrung the A string I heard a “pop” as it set in to the nut. Buzzing is gone.

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    If you heard a 'pop' the slot is probably a little too narrow; ya oughtta widen it a little.

6. jaxetarr

jaxetarr

Mar 12, 2013
    Turns out I wound the strings the wrong way. When I restrung it, it dropped perfectly into the nut.

Thanks for the support.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    You mean the other strings worked?

8. jaxetarr

jaxetarr

Mar 12, 2013
    The other strings did not buzz.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  9. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    This was it on my new bass. See me using the search function, guys??? See how good I done??

walterw, 96tbird and Zooberwerx like this.