Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new string help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by silent method, Sep 18, 2005.

1. dumb question here but im really in need of help right now

I just bought a set of flatwounds for my bass, when i went to put them on the end of the string has a nylon wrap and it wont fit all the way through the hole on my bridge if you know what i mean. what are possible solutions? can i remove this wrap and will it affect performance? thanks guy

:help:

2. bump

please guys any information you have would be helpful

3. Sturge

Sturge

Sep 10, 2005
    Liverpool, England
    What sort of strings are they? Rotosounds are the only ones I can think of with a nylon wrap at the end - am I right in thinking you mean the coloured wrap around the skinny end you wrap around the tuning peg? Do you have this problem with all the strings or just one? It's not easy to suggest something without seeing what's up, if you know what I mean.

4. they are fender flats, the wrap is at the other end (the ball end) and the problem is only with the e string.

edit: I will try to be more clear

when i try to install the strings i put them through the hole on my bridge and slide them up to the tuner. the strings stop at the nylon wrap just before the ball end of the string and wont fit through the hole on the bridge so the ball end it sticking about 1/2 inch out from the bridge.

5. Sturge

Sturge

Sep 10, 2005
    Liverpool, England
    That sounds weird... have you ever changed strings on that bass before? It sounds like it's either a faulty string or the hole in the bridge is too small. Probably something wrong with the string though. I'd take the set back.

6. it was on an essex jazz, anyway all i did was cut off some of the nylon wrap and they went in fine, all seems well, thanks for your help man!