Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new - String holder, how much and how to install?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jaycub, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Jaycub

Jaycub

Jan 18, 2005
    Well, I picked up my bass and noticed the string holders (on the neck) were gone. I have no idea where or how they left.. but they are gone.

So I'm wondering, where and how can I get new bass string holders, (4 string bass) and how much will they cost?

And also, what do I need to install them?

I searched the forum, but I couldnt find anything.

Thanks in advance!

2. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    If you are talking about the thin piece that fits in a groove on the top part of the neck (below the head which has the four tuners on it), you are referring to a piece called a "nut". The good part is that a cheap plastic nut is cheap - about $3.00 - $5.00. :p The bad part is that it takes a fair amount of expertise to cut and adjust a nut so that the bass works right. :crying:
    I would suggest that you contact a store and see if they can refer you to someone who can set up your bass.

3. how the h3ll did you lose your nut?!?!??! :confused:

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Shomy, you know that didn't sound right...:p

Lol, same thing happened when I picked up my friend's Pbass the other day...was like WHAT THE HECK because I spent about 10 mintues tuning it before I realized...but he apparently needed it fixed or soemthin, gave me a suprise...

5. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    Are you referring to the nut, or string retainers? The strings rest on the nut at the top of the fretboard... string retainers are found on Fender-type headstocks and allow for a greater string angle behind the nut.

If you're missing a nut, I would take it to a repair shop. They are relatively cheap, but it is hard to correctly slot a nut -- you need the right instruments and you need to know what you're doing. I was recently quoted $40 for a new bone nut + installation + a setup. Don't get a plastic nut, it won't last very long. Graphite or bone is the way to go, depending on the look of your bass.

If you're missing the string retainer, or retainers (not sure what kind of bass you have), I can't imagine they would cost any more than a few dollars. You'd simply need to screw them into they're respective hole on the headstock.