new string problem

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ndjx, Aug 20, 2002.

1. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Well I bought some new EB Slinky's today. I restrung my B first and that's all Ive done but I played it and it sounded like was a playing in a steal built room or something. Metallic would describe the sound. It shouldn't sound this way because it was just odd... I'm not sure what I did wrong... any help? I'm desperate. :(
  2. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    i used to put EB slinkys on my ray5 and I hated the way they sounded new.. extremely bright and piercing.. But after about a week or 2 they tend to even out and start to give a nice sound...

If you want to try a different brand of strings, I recommend SIT strings.. I just put a set on my bass today and they sound sooooo good.
  3. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Wow... but surely something funky is wrong it lists like all the bands that use them on the back (not the reason I bought them) and not one of the bassists in those band has a metallic, stingy sound to their strings.
  4. meh...just gotta break em in.
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    thats what I said. you have to let them break in for about a week or 2... i didn't say they were always like that. once broken in They work fine..

How are you equing.. that may or may not have something to do with your sound
  6. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I had'em EQ'd with my Mids at about +6 Treble at +3 and Bass a -3. With the Hi and Mid preshape filters in. Then I set everything flat and the preshapes out and it still sounded metaliccy and what not... I know not to buy these stings again. You shouldn't have to really break them in much... at least thats what I think.
  7. unfortunately, thats how it my experience, anyway.
  8. I find Ernie Ball roundwounds to be extremely metallic sounding! However... on an SR5, played VERY lightly near the bridge, it's a cool sound!

9. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    you could always go like the jamerson and play the stuff out of em. then after a week when their nice and dead they won't but metallic anymore
  10. At least wait till the strings are broken in to actually decide whether you like them or not. They are actually really nice and warm, midrangey, and all around good once you play 'em a while.
  11. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Did you put the rest of the strings onto it yet?
  12. Different strings, same problem ...
    I just bought some Yamaha strings and I absolutely HATE them. (luckely they were cheap, round wound : 105-85-65-45 gauge)
    They have no bottom whatsoever, just a metallic "zing" sound instead of a nice "boing".
    The factory strings on my cheap chinese bass that cost 180 $ sound WAY better.
    The original D-string sounds lower than than the A-string from Yamaha set, in spite of the fact that my original strings are a thinner gauge.
    I've played around with all the settings on my amp and my bass, tried playing near the neck, near the bridge, fingertstyle and with a pick ... nothing I tried sounded any good. (unless you always wanted an oversized electric banjo)
    As for breaking them in ... let me put it this way, if I have listen to the crappiest bass-sound ever, for two whole weeks, I'll use those f***ing strings to hang myself ! :mad:
  13. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    dont be so stupid.

metallic sound just means theyre new.
    its not a problem if you can be bothered to play a while with em.

agh, i need sleep....
  14. I'm stupid huh ? Well excuse me for not knowing everything about bass yet. (I've only started two and a half months ago)
    Even if the metallic sound goes away, the strings will still have no bottom, or will they ???
    Please enlighten me mr smartguy. :rolleyes:
  15. If you know nothing, why do you make it seem like you know everything? We are trying to help. Or maybe you are that stupid.
  16. Sigh ... very big difference between "nothing" and "not everything" dude.
    It's not that difficult, is it ???
    And calling someone stupid is not helping very much either ...