Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New string problems? Share your experiences?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SUBass, Jan 26, 2006.

1. SUBass

SUBass

Oct 21, 2005
    I can't imagine that I have the worst luck when it comes to new strings...But I guess I just might.

For instance...I've bought new sets of strings from Ken Smith, Ernie Ball and just recently Rotosound. All of which have been missing strings.

Ernie ball I've had a long history of disappointments from string breakage, tonally dead strings right out of the package to the above mentioned missing strings.

D'Addario I've only seen one issue and haven't experienced it myself....But a friend had a problem with a string not tuning or intonating properly. Replacing the string solved the problem and so we investigated. Turns out that a winding had been mis-wrapped around the core in one location causing the problem.

I've never really complained to manufacturers about any of these issues but this last Rotosound issue has finally gotten to me. Brand new 6-string set with no "D" string in it.

Anyone else have bad stories about new strings?

James

2. Ive never had any worries.

I always use DR, and ive never had a problem.

However, on my brand new SR5 the ernie balls are dying fast. Possibly the worst lasting strings i have ever played.

But, they sound alright.

But your problem totally sucks man, thats really bad luck. Where do you buy your strings from?

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Who did you buy them from? As soon as you open a package and something is missing, you call and complain to the place you bought them from. You should get what you pay for and not less.

4. Exactly. You shouldn't be going with it, you should complaining!