1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New String Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kanti, Mar 28, 2004.

1. kanti

kanti Guest

Feb 22, 2004
    Eugene, Oregon
    I'm just wondering how long it takes on average to "break in" new strings. I ask because I just bought some EB slinkies and changed my strings, only to find a slightly annoying metallic sound and a loss of the heavy sound of my previous strings.

When will the metallic sound end, or am i stuck with it?

2. The more you play on the new strings the quicker the oils from your hands will get into the grooves and cause the strings to become less brilliant sounding.

Some folks will play with dirty hands on purpose to help the strings "dull" quicker.

Question, did you stretch the strings as you were restringing your bass? This helps them to hold tune and also "break" them in quicker.

Play your butt of and they will sound good in a couple of days!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Depends on how often you play, greasiness of fingers, etc.

If you want to make them dead I heard a few different things. I have never tried them though.

1. Rub butter into the strings
    2. Rub the grease from eating fried chicken
    3. Rub dirt in, then wash out

Of the three I would say try butter. The dirt just sounds like a way to ruin strings to me.

Somebody else probably knows better ways to deaden strings.

4. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    yea, this is the number one overlooked thing when it comes to simple thing that make your life as a bassplayer easier. It's even more of an issue when you have an accoustic that has a wooden bridge. The loops on the strings sometimes are too big/small and don't set correctly at first in the bridge. Stretching them helps them get really snug in the bridge as well as up by the nut.

What helps is when you're a dirtball or have long hair, keep running your hands through your hair as you play. It's like the whole "eat fried chicken" thing without the threat of becoming a lard butt like yours truly ;)