1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New String suggestions welcomed for a string noob

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Crockettnj, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I have spent next to no time perusing the strings forums, and I plan on changing that in the next few days.

I have not yet done a search for answers to some of my questions, and I will get to that in the near future as well.

Until then, I'd appreciate some advice or recommendations if you are able to offer them.

Here is some background info. Scroll down for the question.

I play a KSD proto-J 4 string tuned traditionally. It has an ash body, maple neck, and tend to be rather "bright".

I play the typical gammut of classic rock/70'-90's pop non-professionally.

I look for 3 basic tones- a little upper mid cut for occassional slap, a growly play-it-near-the-bridge tone (as distasteful as it sounds, think Jaco playing "My Sharonna".) and a middle of the road classic tone.

I play fingerstyle 99.99% of the time.

I tend to have a heavy touch, my action is fairly low, and as I said the bass/strings tend to have a bright voicing. As such I get a fair ammount of fret buzz when i dont mind my technique.

I dont mind this, as it's good for me to be aware of my technique.

HOWEVER...MY QUESTION:

I dont know what strings I have, but I would like non-flats that are less bright.

What gauge / brand/ style of string would help me tone down the brightness, reduce fret buzz, maintain good tention (not flabby) while still retain an ability to get a decent growl if played & Eq'd accordingly?

I am not looking for a magic answer, but I am hoping string choice can help me in this.

Thanks a ton.

Now, off to search.

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Not too bright rounds??

GHS Boomers.

3. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Thanks for the reply! I have been hitting the search & old posts pretty hard and am leaning towards trying some nickel half or ground woulds. Also i am going to raise my action jsut a scootch.

I used the term fret buzz earlier, when in fact I think I should have described it as the Clackity-Clacky sound. They dont really buzz.

Thanks

4. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Try some nickel roundwounds. They give you typical livliness of rounds, but nickel gives a bit more warmth, which should balance out the built-in brightness of your ash/maple combo.

Some good examples (IMO) are D'Addario XL's and DR Sunbeams.

Good luck!

P.S. I chuckled at the 'Jaco playing "My Sharonna"' comment! :)