1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New string went dead INSTANTLY

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MoeTown1986, Aug 7, 2012.

1. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    ok... i've been using DR strings for years now. started with hi beams, switched to fat beams, just restrung both my 5'ers with dragon skins yesterday (coated hi beams) and fell in love instantly. punchy, fat, bright sound... but tamed.

riddle me this, i was playing J. Guiles Band's "Angel is a centerfold," and the strings sounded perfect. ran through the first verse with the slap chops, all good. hit the second verse, went into the slap and my G string died on the second snap. went from "ping ping" to "thud thud" but the string didnt break?!?!

*** happened?!?!?!?!??!

2. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    I would guess that one of the wraps broke.

3. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Feel free to e-mail DR and share this story.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Sounds like somehow the wrap came free of the core...

Let me guess, this was on a Stingray? For some reason the tuning posts (on the G string particularly) loves to cut into strings. I have seen many strings break at the tuning posts (silk wrapped / rounds / flats / tapes you name it from ALL brands), for some reason that post is really sharp or something...

5. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I think you're correct

6. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Just did! Hopefully I'll get a new G out of it.

7. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    It was indeed a stingray. I've never had this happen before and I've restrung it numerous times. But I guess this is proof that what you say can and does happen!

8. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Piermont, New York
    I had similar problem with DR a while back and they took care of me and quickly. I'm sure they'll take care of you well, also. They're a class act.

9. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Good to know! I have a buddy who has a 5 string fender jazz who broke a B string while trying hi beams for the 1st time and DR had a new one in the mail in no time. Gotta love companies who care!

10. tindrum

tindrum

May 2, 2007
    Virginia Beach
    Same here. I had a low E string that would not tune to any pitch whatsoever from the second it was installed. DR priority mailed out a complete set pronto. Great service.

11. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    That's awesome! An entire set from a single problem string!

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Dunlop has done that for me before, too.

13. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I would like to hear Dunlop strings. I've heard a lot of good things about them. I wish I could just get a pack of every string brand/type and go to town.

14. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Got an email back from DR. They apologized and are sending me a new set. Gotta love great customer service!

15. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    Wow... I had the exact same thing happen to me last week, on a Stingray no less, except it broke when I was winding it up for the first time. I called DR yesterday and they are sending me a replacement G string, I wish they would send me an entire new set...:meh:

I'm satisfied nonetheless though, I've been using DR for 5 years now and they've been nothing short of feckin' awesome! :hyper:

16. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Well, guess this goes to show there is nothing wrong with DR strings. Must be the tuners one the musicman!

17. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I bought DR strings three times. Had strings break within the first few days after putting them on all three times. Never happened with any other brand of string, just DR. They sounded pretty good, but obviously there is some problems with their strings and reliability is key for me.

I've been using Dean Markley SR2000's since 2002 and I love everything about them. I've never broke one of these strings. They sound amazing, last forever and are taper-wrapped which I am quite fond of. -Luke

18. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    If it is, then that is extremely odd as a friend of mine has been using Fat Beams on his Precision bass for years, swears by them and got me to finally try them (only to have this issue...); and the P-Bass' tuning pegs are pretty much identical to the Stingray's right? Or am I wrong?

19. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Dang, I should have done that. Good on them to send you a free set. Had the same thing happen to me once, on the G string as well. Just wouldn't hold tune. Brand new out of the pack, pop and it went loose and that was it. It was either on my fender jazz or lakland dj5, can't remember which. Marcus miller fat beams, been using them as my exclusive round for about 6 years and that was the only one string that was ever a problem IIRC.

20. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I know the stingray has Schaller BM tuning machines with tapered posts. Not sure what fenders have. If they do have Schallers, I'm sure only the MIA Fenders do.