1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new strings = anoying click when i hammer

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by rusmannx, Nov 24, 2004.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i love the sound my new strings have, but no when i'm fretting and hammering about i get this annoying click (even my amp is picking it up). should i just live with it? can i fool with the bridge to fix it?

2. Raven

Raven

Nov 14, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    If you went to a different guage string, you may need to adjust the bridge. Just make small changes, like 1/4 turn at a time and see how it sounds. Generally, a small change can make a big difference.

3. The click was probably always there, just not so noticable since your old strings were likely "dead" with all the brightness gone. Now that you have new bright strings, they pick up the WHACK on the frets. Maybe try playing with the treble on your EQ?

Just a guess, but HTH.

- Andrew

4. Does the click come from bouncing the strings off the frets or off the pickups?

5. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    lets say i fret the 10th and hammer the 12th,
    ther is the click.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    turn down your presence control.

7. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Try lowering your action. Then when you hammer on the string shouldn't hit it as hard. Also if you have a graphic equalizer with thin "Q" bands then try EQing it out.