1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

New Strings & Bass Set-Up

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chico16, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Playing bass has slowly been going down on my priority list over the past few months, I even took a year off without playing until about September-ish 2016, but going through different types of strings online has suddenly awoken my addiction to low frequencies again. I use an Ibanez SR605 and I've always used GHS PressureWounds on it. Went to my account on bassstringsonline.com and noticed that I haven't bought a new set of strings since 2014! :eek: So I'm on the hunt for a new set.

I really like the warmth of the GHS, tension, and the feel of the strings. Recently found a set of DR Fatbeams inside my bag (much to my amaze - they must have been in there since 2014!) put them on and although the strings had a nice sound, I really hated their low tension. I can see how they'd be perfect for somebody who slaps, but I'm not one of the cool kids yet so I don't slap :rollno: and I really dig in with my fingers - never use a pick either. The strings were just clanking and wobbling around everywhere because of my playstyle so I immediately put the GHS back on. I've decided that instead of jumping from half wounds all the way up to stainless steel I'll instead try a set of Nickel plated strings. I have my eyes on DR Lo Riders, Ernie Ball Slinky, and D'Addario XL all in nickel of course. The band I'm in plays Latin Reggae and I'm mainly on the E and A strings so a big deep end is a must for me. One thing I disliked about the GHS is that it would sound like if the D and G strings were lower in volume than the E and A, although that may have been because of my EQ (which I'm not the best at) and the fact that my strings were 3 years old and the little brightness of the D and G strings must be completely gone by now.

Anyway, my main question is: by making the switch from PressureWounds to something like the Lo-Riders for example which are supposed to be a high tension string according to reviews, would I have to make any adjustments to the Truss Rod/Action/Intonation etc? How would I know I forgot adjustments are needed? The reason I ask is that I don't know how to make any of those adjustments myself :rollno: and would have to find somebody that can set the bass up for me after I change the strings. Help a lost bass brother that is slowly finding his way back again :help:

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    That would depend on which Pressurewound set is on yours currently and which Lo-Riders set you are getting.

IME of using all 3 Pressurewound sets (L7200, M7200, and now ML7200, all paired with the PWB128 low-B and PWB28 high-C), they are all pretty much high tension in their own respectively gauges. So if you are getting the same gauges of Lo-Riders set, you just might retain your current setup.

But of course you still have to check for all measurements after changing strings. Nowadays there are plenty of YouTube video guidance clips for this kind of matter.

3. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    You're right i forgot to mention the gauges. The GHS are .044 .062 .084 .106 .128 while the DR would be the .045 .065 .085 .105 .130. I haven't used any string other than the PressureWounds so thanks for pointing out that they are considered high tension. Now I know! The only other string I've used were some Ernie Balls on my very first bass but I don't even know which they were.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021