1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New strings day! Welcome back D'Addario!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    So after playing with EBS strings for a while, I decided to get back to D'Addario again and I'm absolutely thrilled! Such a clear tone and they feel amazing. I think I will be playing D'Adarrio strings for a while again! Thanks for making this great strings D'Addario!

productimage-picture-d-addario-exl165-electric-bass-43761__800x600_upscale-_q85.

villis and scotch like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Your strings and I were born on the same island.

But it really is something that they can be so consistent in their quality while also being cheaper than their competitors.

3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Sure thing! I paid only 16 euro for it! If I would have bought Ernie Ball strings, it would have cost me 30 euro :eek:

4. Seconded for D'Addario's! Currently have the EXL170BTs on my P and my god they are lovely strings! So nice tonally and I've yet to have a duff string in 8 years using D'Addario!

Linnin likes this.
  5. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    I was never much of a Daddario fan, til I tried the new flex steels. They just had this rawness about them, both in tone and feel. I, strangely, don't like a round that's too slick (which I found the nickels and prosteels to be).

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    +1 Agree about the EXL170BT's.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    These are the ones I like ...

d-addario-electric-bass-xl-environmental-5-string-040-125-exl220-5-3.

Thomas Kievit likes this.
  8. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I've seen some bass players here that have a .145 low B string from D'Addario on their basses. Does D'Addario have a custom shop or something like that?

9. I've had my Precision strung with D'addario half rounds since the 70's - never found a string I like better.

10. G-MonRV5

G-MonRV5

Apr 29, 2008
    Indiana
    Hmm. I might have to give these a whirl next time around... It's been a while since I tried a different brand of string.

11. For serious, they are my favorite strings. I like the balanced tension regular light gauge nickels. On the balanced tension set, the gauge on the E string is larger than on the regular exl170's (my old favorite before the balanced set) and that helps a lot tension-wise with the use of the D-tuner on that string.

Relatively inexpensive and they sound how I want. Can't say enough about D'addario.

JamesFoxBass likes this.
  12. G-MonRV5

G-MonRV5

Apr 29, 2008
    Indiana
    How polite are they? I grew up loving the grit of Rotosounds and now like the growl of DR Lo-Riders, so I'm wondering if the D'Addarios would satisfy that part of my taste. Obviously, the SS would come closer than the nickel.

In any case, given what you said about good tension and string balance (not to mention the relative price), it might be worth a test run.

13. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    You can purchase .145s as a single string in long and super long/ tapered and non-tapered.

D'Addario makes a good string - I like their pure nickel half rounds. But I prefer GHS strings.

14. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    D'Addario nickels are my second choice behind DR Lo-Riders. If I am ever in a pinch for strings, I would never be unhappy if I had to use D'Addario. They are also the strings I always come back to on my acoustic guitar.

15. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    They have a very clear tone and they last a long time. Even better is that the prices are low. I paid only 16 euro for that package, while Ernie Ball asks 30 euro for the same string gauge / material / wounding.

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  17. I've been using D'Addario regular light gauge strings for years on my Fender Precision basses, great tone, they keep their life long and knock-on-wood never broke one. Generally reasonably priced as well.

villis, gsgbass and Thomas Kievit like this.
  18. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

A good choice to returning to D'Addario strings. I use the ETB92 / ETB92S Nylon Tapewounds on my basses. D'Addario's Customer Service is the best too. If ever needed.

19. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012