1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Strings, Dunno What To Get

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by anon65884001, Apr 11, 2009.

1. anon65884001

anon65884001 Guest

Feb 1, 2009
    Hi all
    I posted another thread, but no one answered that
    So here i go again,
    I like playing pop punk, but since all my friends don't like pop punk, and since i only have one electric bass, i need a string that is versatile (but my bass is versatile, so...i dunno)
    I like playing punk and alternative rock as well so please consider that too
    I play both pick and finger
    And i use Fender Jazz 24 :bassist:
    I really don't know how to describe the tone i want, but i posted few youtube links below so check it out:

To summarize, this is the tone that i want on my fender jazz 24 with new strings and no i can't get another bass :smug:
    Thanks TB :D

2. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Most of the bassist's of these bands (Didn't bother checking all of them) are using a P bass, not a J bass. Strings are not really going to help you here. :)

Cheapest solution (free) is to rewire the pickups like in the S-1 J basses and switch it on when you want the more P-ish tone.

3. whatever you get dont get warwick strings

4. anon65884001

anon65884001 Guest

Feb 1, 2009
    All of them do actually :D
    So how much % does string contribute to the sound then?
    I'm a bass guitar noob, so...
    On cello, i think that strings change the sound as much as the actual instrument does, but i guess that doesn't apply here
    So is the sound i'm hearing a Pbass sound then?
    Because i did get close with my Jbass, but not right on...and i thought it was the strings that was the problem
    Anyways, what strings should i get then?
    I really need to get new ones...

5. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    well right now im using a Fender MIM Jazz bass. its using stock pups but i can say: D'addario nickel Roundwounds (165) and it find them very punchy. it sounds very good for punk if your using a pick

6. anon65884001

anon65884001 Guest

Feb 1, 2009
    And one more thing,
    I don't mind heavy strings as i have 4 really really strong fingers
    Any other suggestions other than D'addario exl 165?
    Or should i just get that?

7. anon65884001

anon65884001 Guest

Feb 1, 2009
    bump,
    any other opinions?

8. Trying to reproduce a sound you hear from a bassist on You Tube is a very complex chore. Many, many things contribute to a tone other than strings. Finding the string you like the most, may take years of searching and testing. However, strings do affect the tone more than most other changeable components. Your first choice is to decide if you want Flats or Rounds.