Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New strings for a 6er

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bryan bailey, May 8, 2003.

1. I am soon to receive a new bass, via Daddy's, and I was wondering what strings would be best for the in the middle sound, not too bright, not very dull, but somewhere in between. I was thinking of d'addario slowounds, but I hear they have a tendency to break on the higher strings, what else could I go for that are pretty cheap, but still good sounding?

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I use Carvin Meds on all my 6ers.. Good sound, GREAT price!!

3. Would getting a larger scale to get a tighter B be worth having the other bulkier strings around, and which roundwounds have the most string tension?

4. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Would getting a larger scale to get a tighter B be worth having the other bulkier strings around,

Some argue that a longer scale is required for a tighter B.... Ive found my 34" scales have just as tight a B as my 35" scale basses.

and which roundwounds have the most string tension?

Can't say... I find what I like and stick to them.. Don't shop around too much because it can get expensive very quickly buying strings for 6 and 7 string basses!!

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The Carvins don't seem too bad, although IME the E string is a bit weak. The strings I really like on my Axcelerator 6 are LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels. Long-lasting B (that's a big deal to me), nice, full sound. I haven't found the right strings for my Cort Curbow 6 yet, but I think it wants nickels.

6. Do the Carvin's have the taper wound B, and E?

7. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yes

8. Bah, nevermind then. I hate taper wound strings. D'addario XL's aren't taper wound are they?

9. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I've used many kinds of strings for my 6 strings (Ken Smith, Zon, D'addario, GHS, LaBella, and Carvin). I've stayed with Carvin strings because I never noticed a huge benefit in feel or tone with the others, and the Carvin's are less expensive.

10. I'll probably just used D'addario's, or Fender's. As long as it is nickle plated steel round wound and not taper wound, I couldn't care less, or more