1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new strings for a funk audition

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cactus waltz, Nov 2, 2010.

1. cactus waltz

cactus waltz

Feb 10, 2005
    Hello,

I have been invited to audition for a funk band. I'm very excited of course. I own an Ibanez SR300, which isn't necessarily known as the funkiest of basses, but I also need to change strings (the ones I have are quite dead), so I thought I could rememedy that situation somewhat.

I'm considering something like D'Addario Nickel Roundwounds. It could make the bass sound a bit warmer and springier, I thought. What are your suggestions?

2. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Any new strings will give you that nice sizzle on top, it will especially help if you plan to slap. I think a funky player can drop the funk on any bass so I would focus more on your playing, and funk licks as preperation if I were in your shoes. What style if funk will you be playing? Are we talking James Brown, or the JB's type stuff, or P Funk/Kool and the Gang, EWAF, or (shrug) The Red Hot Chili Peppers (which some people mistake for funk)?

3. cactus waltz

cactus waltz

Feb 10, 2005
    Actually, I have no idea of the sound! It's a newly formed band that will have "an emphasis on basslines". I think the style is a bit undefined for now, as long as it feels like soul and funk.

Good point about focusing on the playing. I will do that, but I felt that sine I have to get new strings anyway, I might as well get something that fits the audition.

4. Definitely get new strings....but really the bass is not the important factor here - MUCH more about HOW you play.

Make it funky - it's that simple, and that hard

5. New Strings.. Sure but most importantly....... STAY ON THE ONE and you'll get it done!

6. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    Chromes

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I disagree. The chances of them wanting the older, in-the-background finger-funk bass are pretty slim. He's better off getting something that will be bright and slap-friendly, and then rolling off his tone if he needs to back it off.

8. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    chromes here also

9. get the strings ASAP.
    I use D'Addario nickels and it takes them a little bit to get beat in and sounding good for slap playing.

10. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    It's much better to subtract treble from a new, sparkly set than trying to crank it on an old set. In your search for a good "funky" tone, don't get sucked into that smiley face eq thang. Sounds great playing by yourself, but absolutely will not cut through a band.

11. cactus waltz

cactus waltz

Feb 10, 2005
    OK, I've purchased D'Addario Nickels. I really liked the feel of them (the bass came with thick stainless steel), however my neck got totally warped so I decided to leave it to the shop for proper intonation. I will get the bass back the same afternoon as the audition takes place, meaning I won't have time to beat in the strings. What can I do? :meh:

12. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Don't beat in the strings, keep em sounding as fresh as possible. D'Addario Nickels wouldn't have been my first (or second) choice, but to echo what's already been said, best have your chops up, or it won't matter what your bass sounds like.

13. cactus waltz

cactus waltz

Feb 10, 2005
    Just for reference, what strings would you have gone for?

14. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    DR Lo-Riders. They make everything funky!

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Time for a repost :D :

OK. Just in case ya don't pick up on it, this is what NOT to do. Video is for entertainment purposes only.