1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New strings for better harmonics?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MirageBass, Sep 6, 2008.

1. While trying out some amps, I couldn't seem to get the nice, pronounced harmonics I like, no matter the setup. I'm using strings that haven't been changed for several years, because they still sound good to me, and I have another set - I just wanted to know if newer strings generally have more pronounced harmonics than older ones (I'm using Nickel D'addarios, and I was going to change to Super Bright Prosteels).

2. Newer strings do make harmonics sing much better IME... They jump out and are gorgeous =D

3. justincest

justincest

May 1, 2008
    Dr lo riders. They've worked wonders for my tapping/harmonics.

4. I think the bass itself can also be the issue, my 2 fretteds have the same brand strings (Roto 66) both sets were put on 2 years ago. My Aria can get any harmonic regardless of pickup used, whereas my Samick, only produces them nicely with the bridge pup cranked. I think the new strngs will help (for a while) but may fade in time. Try 66's they have always worked for me regardless of how old the strings.

5. yes. new strings are the answer.

6. ynie92992

ynie92992

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    New DR lo riders,definitely.

7. I got some D'Addario ProSteels. Perfect.

8. millerfreak

millerfreak

Jun 29, 2008
    ProSteels are nice, but uh, it kills.

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    +1

i just put dr lo-riders on my p and unplugged it sings.