1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Strings for Ibanez SR800

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Minger, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Alrite, so for the last year or so I havn't bought new strings, so this is a whole new experience all over again. For the past year, I've been using basically muted strings (worn in, and Elixirs) and since I've basically just sold my set of Hi Beams to Lokire, I'm looking around again.

New sets I currently have: Polywebs and Nanowebs.

Not sure what I should try, but I'm not going to HiBeams again - way too freakin bright when new for my tastes, or maybe thats how new strings are just supposed to be.

Anybody think flats would be a good combination with the preamp? (The bass knob is insane)

2. ghorvers

ghorvers

Dec 22, 2005
    I Got Highbeams on my SG885 and I grant you they can sound too bright in the beginning, but the 45-105 set gives me the sound I like when they have settled somewhat.
    Maybe you could check out the DR Lowriders?

Cheers,
    Geert

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Any other suggestions?

4. Maybe you should try some black nylon tapewound strings? Underneath the nylon tape, they're just roundwound strings so you still get a good part of that sound, but the nylon tape mutes the brightness and gives them a nice smooth tone. And the best part - the tone of the strings doesn't significantly change for years because the nylon tape keeps dirt out of the string windings underneath :D

I love the way they look and feel too. Still waiting on my new set from Status Graphite :hyper:

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Stupid question, but wouldn't that just be like having my Elixirs on there?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I find that Ernie Ball strings work for me lately.

7. Not at all. Elixers have a (polyweb, is it?) coating to the strings, but that wears off after a while, though they do last longer because of it. Most new roundwound strings are really bright sounding naturally, like you said.

With Nylon Tapewound strings, they look and feel more like flatwound strings while retaining a less bright roundwound sound. The nylon tape wrapping dulls that brightness a bit. And they last forever (like 3 years +)

Here's a pic of mine:

BlackStrings.