Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New strings from TI

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tappel, Jun 14, 2004.

1. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    The new Infeld Magnecores will be available any day now. They're a round wound on hexcore string with a pure nickel wrap. Word "on da street" is that these are amazing strings.

They're priced about the same, if not a bit less, than the Power Bass series. And .. (drum roll)... they come in more traditional gauges; the 4 string set is 45 65 80 105.

Tom

Edited to note correct A string gauge (.080)

2. I received a notice from Thomastik-Infeld about these and can't wait to try them out!

This just in..............

Thomastik-Infeld is introducing a new product to their line of
    world-class bass guitar strings and www.bassguitarstrings.us is among the first retailers to carry them. Currently, we have the 4 string set (gauged 45 65 85 105) and will be adding the other sets as they become available.

From the Infeld site:

"Infeld bass strings are handmade in Vienna, Austria using only highest quality materials and deliver a full, well-rounded bass, throaty mids and solid treble without brittleness. Our Magnecore winding combined with a pure nickel layer ensures a warm vintage tone with modern definition. Plus, they are easier on your fretwork than stainless or all-steel strings. "

Here's the direct link:
    http://bassguitarstrings.us/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=360

-- Tom Appel
    sales@bassguitarstrings.us

www.bassguitarstrings.us

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Are the new Magnecore and Super Alloy the same string? There is nothing on site I could find and the details on the Super Alloy don't exsit.

4. Other than gauge, I can't see how they would be different from Powerbass strings.

5. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    The use of the word "Magnecore" in my newsletter announcement was a mistake and it's caused some confusion. I also listed the incorrect A string gauge; it's 80 and not 85. Whoever said haste makes waste was right...

The Power Bass strings and the new Superalloy strings have different construction and are definitely different strings. The new strings have (what Infeld is calling) a Superalloy winding with a pure nickel layer while Power Bass strings have nickel-plated steel over a steel core.

Tom

6. Love the Bert Pic....
    Tom, so what is the diffs? Tone and feel.
    I like nickel strings so just curious before I buy more PB strings.

7. Here's the correction made in an updated news letter I received....

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    The plan was for me to pop one of the new sets that I received on my Spector (for evaluation purposes, of course) but the first sets I had flew outta here (I'm getting more in today). So I can't give a first-hand review. However, feedback has been nothing short of outstanding. In short, they're said to have a remarkable feel (smaller windings) and incredibly versatile tone.

Check the TI forums at the Dudepit, there're some more details about the strings over there:

The Dudepit TI forum

Make sure to check out Derrick Jones' review. He absolutely raved.

Tom

P.S. The Bert pic comes from www.bertisevil.tv
    (Caution: some adult-content ads)

9. Hmm, I'm currently using 40-95... However, I've heard that the Jazz flats have a very low tension. These Superalloys are 45-105... let me know if they are very tense, because I prefer pretty low tension strings.

10. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    I'd like to hear em and compare em to the TI Flats i just bought--i love their sound.

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    so, any thought's on these guys yet? i'm thinking about picking up a 5 string set...when they become available. that is...i checked the dudepit...just looking for another update ;)

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    These are supposedly a little lower in tension than Powerbass strings, but more than TI Jazz Flats. And, the windings are supposed to be similar to the Jazz Rounds. So, they sound like they are right up my alley.

Powerbass feel pretty slinky to me--I love them. I can't wait for the 5 string sets to come out in early July so I can get a set for my new fretless Bongo. :hyper:

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

indeed...i'm wanting to put them on the spector euro 5 that i have coming...

14. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I've got a set on my 79 Stingray and let me tell you. THEY SOUND INCREDIBLE!

I've been using DR Sunbeams for years now, so I'll use them as a comparison.

The TI's are more slinky with less tension than the DR's. I actually like the tight windings. The tension isn't much lower than the DR's, but its there. I'm a pretty aggressive player and have no troubles at all with them. The tight winds are also a little easier on the fingers as well. I thought that having the A string be an 80 would be odd, but its not noticable. I'm guessing they did this for string-to-string balance.

The tone of the TI's is a beautiful thing. They're nice and deep and the highs are crisp, but don't "bite" like some other strings. I had to dial in a little bit of midrange on my amp after the change, but its very minimal. The DR's are a little more mellow. The TI"s "sing" a little more, if you know what I mean.

Now here is what I don't like too much..the silk winds on the strings are a little long. My 79 is string through and on the A string, the silk sits right in the nut. It doesn't seem to effect the tone at all, but its there. I'm guessing I'll need to order a long scale set to fix this here problem.

If these strings last longer than the DR's, then I'll be using these from now on..I guess time will tell..

Hope this review helps some.

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    so does anyone know when 5 string sets will be shipping? any B string info yet? :D

16. Gretschluvr

Gretschluvr

Jun 8, 2004
    I have the new TI's on my bass at the moment. They are higher tension than the flats, surprisingly the .105 does not have quite the lows I thought it would. They are not the smoothest roundwound I have tried. The GHS Infinity steel sounded better to me but was too high tension. I may go back to the TI flats. At any rate, I need to test these for another week. Maybe I was expecting too much from these Highly touted strings. Some of you may love them but they just are what I am looking for. They are lower tension than the GHS strings for sure. These just didn't cut through the mix for me like the TI flats or the GHS Infinity.

17. I posted the above review of the SuperAlloy Strings under my previous nick of Gretschluvr.

I wanted to say that if you want some slap bass capability or some extra growl..these may be for you.

If you want the deep bass sound then you will have to work at it to get it from these.
    My bass tends to lean toward a some natural growl due to the pickups so I like strings that will tone that down some.
    You guys may think these are it for you as we have our independent needs in sound we are looking for..these just were not it for me.

18. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Bump.

Any word on when the fivers are coming out?

I finally broke down and took off the TI flats. Breaks my heart because I love the feel and the growl, but I just missed the slap sound of rounds too much. The flats were a 95% solution, but I need that other 5% to satisfy my wanking jones. :bassist: I'm hoping the Superalloys will fit the bill.

19. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Is this thing on? ;)

Crap. That lasted all of about 30 hours. Jazz flats are back on. I had put on an unopened set of SR2000 Will Lees I still had lying around, and compared to the TIs they SUCKED. I didn't realize how addicted I was to the sound and feel of the TIs. And as it turns out, my ear (sadly) has grown used to the slap sound of these things. Yeah, the schwingy highs ain't there, but esp on my particular bass/amp combo, the low mid thump will put you through a wall. The rounds don't even come close that kind of power. And fingerstyle it's no contest at all--the TIs have tons more growl. I'll still probably give the Superalloys a try when the come out, but they would REALLY have to be good to make me switch for good.

20. I have put the new Super Alloys on my Sterling, Godin fiver, and fretless jazz bass and they fill all of those rolls perfectly.

These are great strings that have the characteristics of half wounds (not as bright and smoother feel) but they are punchy and throaty and for me have a perfect tension point.

They howl on the fretless and capture the nuances of the Sterling, nice and tight on the Godin. I've been buying them from Steve at the DP/ebay for under 30 a set, a great deal.

btw Steve provides excellent service. I had a set of strings within a couples days of purchase on ebay.

http://www.vintagebass.com/