1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New strings, new setup, new solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by damonsmith, Sep 23, 2008.

1. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    The solo is the piece on my player here:
    http://myspace.com/damonsmithsolo
    I got my bass set up and I am trying out spirocore solo strings. They seem to add more clarity, especially for things like the little subtone bit at the end.
    The art work is two thick and heavy 24 x 36 sheets with oilstick smashed between them and pulled apart.

2. Menacewarf

Menacewarf

Mar 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Hey Damon

I like your new piece. I'm one of those Jazz lovers who claims to never get 'Free' music but maybe has never given it a chance. Greatly respecting the posts you offer on here I regularly check your music out. Sure enough I'm getting more hip to it.

I particularly like the way you blend together different ways of playing the bass. Durring the bowing I was checking out what you were doing musicly and then you go to the harmonics and suddenly I snap and ask, "Whoa what is he doing to the bass now?" I like the way it works.

Anyway I admire your Bass playing.

3. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Thanks for the nice words, man. Grants Pass is a nice place. I am from eastern Washington - born in Spokane but grew up in Kennewick . I remember going through Grants Pass as a kid. I often miss the Pacific north west. It has it's own special character.

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Nice.

I don't know how your bass felt before but everything is very clear. The various techniques you use all come through really well. Of all the stuff I'm not that crazy about the pizz tone. It seems a little on the thin side for my taste and definitely has the TI buzzsaw thing but I see what you mean about it being very easy to hear your intonation. Just lacks a little girth.

5. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Yeah, I notice it too. I took a little over a month off from gigs and then about a week off practicing - it was just time for break. I am hoping that is the reason,
    If I can't beef up the pizz sound I might go back to weichs.