new strings problem

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by marcopalla, Nov 2, 2005.

1. marcopalla

Aug 31, 2005
    HI, I'm a newbie, and
    I'd like to know if someone has had the same problem:

Yesterday I have changed strings to my Ibanez GSR200, it had the strings it cames with, and i put WARWICK Red box (.040/.060/.080/.100)

Now the playbility has improved a lot, but I have a great problem with the sound: at high volume You hear a clear metalic eco, very high.
    Old strings (sold with bass) had a red thread rolled on the biginning and on the end of the string, the new ones had not, maybe this eliminate vibrations on the bridge and on the tuning heads?

I wouldn't put again old strings but, how to solve the problem??
    Any suggestion is wellcome (tomorrow I have a gig :bawl: )
  2. DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    If you wound the string on the post like in the 3rd picture:

where it coils 'downward' then a buzz might be from the new strings being of a lighter gauge than the originals. Most basses ship with .045-.100 (or so) so if you have lighter strings, there would be less tension. The neck relief - the curve of the fretboard - might be now curved more toward the strings and the strings would lightly touch the frets when you play certain notes, creating a buzz, or metallic echo.

If you feel confident enough to do it, you could loosen the truss-rod a quarter-turn or so. The adjustment nut is usually under that plastic cover plate on the head of the neck. Sometimes it's at the other end of the neck by the neck pickup. Don't turn it a lot though. Just a quarter turn.

You might wait half an hour or so to let the wood of the neck relax into the new shape, then tune up again and see if the buzz is gone.

Hope this helps.

If everything else fails and you have a gig, then maybe put the old strings back on, play the gig and then afterwards, try the new strings again.

Best regards.
  3. marcopalla

Aug 31, 2005
    thanx a lot for the suggestion,
    I think I've stringed well, I'll try to give a little more action to strings making the regulation of the neck (I have just done twice, so I hope not to do disasters). If it doesn't work I'll put old strings tomorrow morning.
  4. What you are probably hearing is what many people look for when putting on new strings.. that "new string zing". Once you play them for a while the zing will go away. Some people change their strings regularly to keep that sound, others will rub something oily on the strings to make it go away.