Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEW STRINGS PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DenisW, Feb 22, 2003.

1. DenisW

DenisW

May 5, 2002
    Cork,Ireland
    Hi,I have a problem that I cannot seem to fix.I put on new strings last night.DR Hi-beams 45-105 on my Warwick Streamer LX 4 string.The A string now rattles and does not sound as bright.It rattles when I fret a note and pluck an open string.I have looked at most possibilities like the nut and bridge.But they seem secure to me.Any help would be great.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    I'm surprised there's no response to this query...

After changing your strings - especially if you've changed gauge, you'll likely need atleast a 'basic' set-up.

From your description, it 'sounds' like your 'A' string is vibrating against the fret wire/s along the neck. Depending on the 'buzz' location on the fretboard, it may just be a simple height adjustment on the bridge... or; slightly more serious truss rod tweek.

michael s.

3. DenisW

DenisW

May 5, 2002
    Cork,Ireland
    Thanks for the reply Michael.I have brought it to a Guitar shop to be looked at. He says it is probably a truss rod adjustment as he thought the bridge height was ok.He will also check everything else as well.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    off to setup...