new strings problems

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by rich mander, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Hi,

I've scanned the previous posts for a while but haven't been able to find anything that might help me.

I'm a relative newby on the bass playing scene (been playing gigs for only a few months now). I mainly play early jazz, I decided to replace my original helicores with some Velvet Garbo's - for the lovely gut sound (and they're so soft on the fingers!).
    However, when I got the bass home from the luthier, I tried the strings again and found that I'm getting overtones / harmonics (1 1/2 and 2 octaves up) on my G and D strings (yes, I tried it before taking it home, but didn't hear them then). It sounds like a honky-tonk bass! :bawl:

Can anyone help me with the cause of this? I'm guessing that it's either that the strings are new (hopefully) and will settle in, or that it's something about the bass itself. Is this something that everyone experiences at some time? (please say yes)

I'm going to call the luthier in the morning too and ask their opinion...

Thanks in advance
  2. I went from Helicores to Garbos, and I love them. They take a little while to settle in, maybe 2-3 weeks. I've had mine nearly a year and they are getting better. They sound nicer now than when they were newish. The only drawback is that they've gone a very dull dark brownish colour, which looks a little odd. I use them for jazz, jump blues, country, rockabilly and latin. I dont really have an answer to your question, it maybe something that wears off. I would leave it, just play them for 2-3 weeks, and see if the problem has gone. If not, then I would contact the luthier.
  3. Thanks Marty!

I spoke to the luthier, and they said that, yes, it should take a little while to wear in, especially as the bass has never had gut strings.

After constant playing over the past few days, I think I can now detect an improvement, so hopefully I won't need any sound post adjustments or the like.

4. Man, you're in Melbourne! My brother (Andrew Forrer) and a very good friend (Mike Rudd) both live there and are active musicians. If ya ever run into them, say hi for me. I lived there briefly, worked in Troy Music in South Yarra. My mate Roy Brown managed the Troy shop in Ringwood (?) for 5 years. I put my Helicores back on a couple of weeks ago, just for fun, but hated them, took them off after an hour. Cant beat the Garbos!