1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New strings question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Epitaph04, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    This is probably a really stupid question, but I am just really paranoid and just want to make sure.

I've had my Ibanez sr305 for about 9-10 months now with the same set of stock strings...theyre pretty damn dead now. So I want to get a new set of strings.

However, I don't know what gauge they are, and I've read of people snapping strings or messing up necks because they've installed strings that were a different gauge from the ones that were currently on.

I'm planning on just getting some EB regular slinky's...45-65-80-100-130

Is it safe to assume that the stock D'addario strings on my ibanez are about the same in terms of gauge, and that I won't damage anything? I'm just really paranoid! :help:

2. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Those sound exactly fine; im sure it doesn't hurt to confirm your new string putting on technique though.

I loosen up the smallest strings first and replace them one at a time, so G comes off first, new G string goes on, and I tighten up to tension not to tone!

Then I go the next string down; easypeasy. Once all the new sets of strings are on, tune em up slowly. You'll have to retune a few times over as the strings tend to loosen up; usually after the first 10 minutes they settle in and then loosen up more over the next day (barely)

Really though you shouldn't worry. You've got a 5 string bass which can handle a good load of tension

3. uncle Bob

uncle Bob

Sep 16, 2010
    Drector of Sales LaBella Strings
    Sound advice, only one alternative though.....I prefer changing strings in an opposed fasion. Do the G as LoPro suggested, but then switchover to the opposite side and do that..In this way you maintain an equal force accross the neck .
    Figure any string instrument neck is like a suspension bridge. Were you t cut a strand from either side of a bridge the tendancy would be for the bridge to twist...Same thing on your bass, especially on slim neck basses.
    Glad to learn you are changing the set and are asking for direction too.

4. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    New basses usually come with the most popular set, known as 'standard' / 'medium': 130 100 80 65 45 or 130 105 85 65 45. As long as your new set has roughly the same gauges you'll be fine :)

5. Great thread!! I was actually starting to wonder the same thing since it's also getting close to time for me to change my bass strings.

6. You may not need one with such a small change of gauge but I recommend getting your bass setup with the new strings. Especially if it's been 9-10 months. You can look up on here how to set your bass up yourself or find a good tech in your area.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Feel free to try different gauges and different brands. This may change neck tension. Therefore you should learn to adjust your bridge and truss rods. Most basses need to be set up a couple of times per year just due to seasonal changes. Also when I change strings I take them all of and then I clean and polish the bass bass then I install the new strings.

8. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    There is no reason to change strings one at a time. I take the old ones all off, wipe the fretboard and body down with isopropyl alcohol :bag::D, and put the new ones on. No problems after many years doing that on my basses and many more on my guitars.

If the gauges of the strings are different, you'll want to check/adjust your intonation and neck relief.

9. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Yea true; I used to take them all off and wipe the neck down but now when I take off my G string (hah!) I wipe that area down, put on the new string and so on and so forth. It's a habit i'm happy with.

And I agree with another poster on a setup with the new strings. I'm not saying that with new strings you NEED a setup but in your case it could only make the bass sound/play better. It may be that it doesn't change a thing to the tone, but there's always happy surprises in my case when I have a setup =)

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021