1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

New strings report: Dean Markley SR2000 Will Lee

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wraub, Jan 2, 2016.

1. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Have been playing either DR HiBeams or Chromes for... well, years and years. I think I prefer LoRiders, but I had several packs of the HiBeams, so there. Recently, upon breaking a string, I switched to the SR2000 set as it was the last new set of RW strings I had. Bass is a Precision.

Initial thoughts: High tension, almost like flats. Lots of torque on the tuners needed to get to pitch. Playing feel is very taut, again, like flats. They sound very bright. One of my guitarists noticed this as well, even though he prefers my Jazz bass.

Some play time has loosened them up some, but they are still bright. The feel is good, they feel very "direct" and solid. Not aggressively abrasive to the fingers.
    Sound wise, they fit in well for the fairly loud rock music in this band. The brightness combines with the Pbass mids in a pleasing (imo) way.

They can get as ballsy and aggro as needed, but can also play nice, depending on tone knob adjustments.
    They seem to have a lot of range.

I guess I'll keep them for now, as I am curious to see how they further develop. Can always get more DRs if needed.

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    DM SR2000 are one of my all time favorite strings, but not WL series/gauges (WL is no more with DM, btw). I use light or med-lite with a custom 127 B

3. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    DM has also the Helix series, very impressive too

4. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    1 month update: Have really come to like these strings.
    Took 'em off for a minute, put on the Chromes I took off for these, and put these back on. They really make my P bass sing.
    Lots of grind with clarity, even tone across the strings and across the neck.
    Tautness has settled some, they are now quite playable.

Maybe my new favorite string.

5. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    So no intonation issues due to the long tapered portion of the string on the P bass?

6. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    My P bass has the best intonation of any of my basses, and these strings have not affected that at all.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021