New strings, strange overtones

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JoelT, Jan 19, 2001.

1. JoelT

Aug 7, 2000

I think this is a string issue, at least I hope it's just the strings. I just had my Ibanez SR406 setup for the first time since buying it about 5 months ago, and he also put on some DR taper-core strings (which he said were great). I'm not sure exactly what style they are, but the box says Long Neck.

I'm not thrilled with the sound of the bass now. It sounds a little metallic in general, and above the 12th or so fret there are a bunch of nasty overtones, particularly on the lower strings. It's almost like bells ringing.

Has anyone heard of this overtone/ringing problem before? Is this a characteristic of some strings? Part of the setup he did was to file down some frets that weren't even, but I hope that isn't the problem.

I think I'm gonna gather all the courage I can from this Mt. Dew and try to put one of the old strings back on (for the first time). :)  I saw that someone posted a link to instructions on Bass Player Online so that should help. If I get one on without maiming myself I'll try the others.

2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Hey JoelT! Welcome to TalkBass :D

You're right about those DR Tapercores...bright, clanky, metallic, might be
    an understatement. I tried some on a cheapie Yamaha I'd thrown a Bada$$ II bridge on.
    The Yammer's got one P-type pup. I should say...before I tried the Tapercores,
    I had a set of (DR) Hi-Beams on. Even with the stock Yamaha pup it sounded NUTZ ! :p .
    The stock's since been replaced by a DiMarzio DP127 (Split P)...smoooooth.

It was like a bucket of rusty nails on a tin roof. OK for some apps I guess (metal?),
    just not for me. I didn't think it could be topped - `til I put on the Tapercores.
    There was the same "rusty chainsaw" of overtones, but there seemed to be a little more...
    I guess "control" is the word because of the exposed core over the bridge.
    The best way I can describe it is like one of them B-type Western Honky-Tonk pianos
    (that's been gone over by a sledgehammer).

I was first attracted to the DR's `cause of the better "feel" afforded by a round core.
    Then, of course, I discovered the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Series. flats, actually.
    But there are also Roundwounds. They also have a round core and incredible feel.
    Don't let the "light" (?) gauge fool `ya. These strings'll kick yer' pup in the butt
    and make it shout. But without excessive clanky-ness. Somethin' in their alloys?
    They're a little $teeper than most but worth it. Herm (the moderator) can
    fix you up with some good strings (he's havin' a big clearance sale).
    Or, check this out ~
    C'mon man! :D It's a piece of cake :) . You can do it! ;)
  3. JoelT

Aug 7, 2000
    Heh, thanks notduane. I'm glad it's not just me. Yeah, rusty chainsaw...that's the description I was looking for. :D   Well, I managed to get the old strings back on without any major problems. There is a cut on the back of my hand, but I'm pretty sure that was already me where it came from, though. :D   With the old strings I'm back to my old sound. Not necessarily a great sound, but I can deal with it for now.

I was planning on trudging down to Sam Ash tomorrow, but I like the idea of checking with Herm better. Sometimes going to Sam Ash is like a trip to the dentist (but without the perks like free floss). :)