New strings vs. old strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fat jonny, Oct 3, 2000.

1. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I only replace my strings when they get broken, and I have found that I actually prefer the sound from them after they get all discolored and lose their "bright" and "clanky" sound. does anybody else prefer the old worn out string sound to the new string sound? BTW I use DR high beams.
  2. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I like to change my strings every 2 weeks, I like the brightness that they bring, the sustain, etc. Your the only person I've ever come across that prefers the sound of an old string to a new one. But to each is own. I use Blue Steals, and Slowounds.
  3. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    I change strings every two or three months. I don't like them when they are brand new as they sound a little too bright and tend to buzz. I like them best when I've used them for about two weeks (playing a few times a week). After two or three months, they seem to start loosing tension and the notes have shorter durations. That's when I get rid of them.
  4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    FJ, I'm totally with you. When I was younger, I liked fresh Rotosounds and that zing was a big part of my tone. Now I play old, crusty tapewounds that are at least a year old. I change them when they break. I like the sound of gunk on old-style strings. As far as sound goes, I decided years ago to yield the high end to g**tar players, singers, and hi-hats and to dominate the low end of the spectrum. Old crusty strings are great for that deep low end.
  5. I prefer new strings, the old used ones just sound dull to me. I use them for about a month and a half or so, then boil them clean and use them for maybe another month.

but if I some day feel like playing dub I will never change the strings.. for that low end with nothing left at the top of the sound spectrum.