1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by UNICORN BASS, Mar 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Just got some new strings which I have never tried before. I have some Dunlop steels and DR dragon Skins. Which set would be better on my newly acquired Cort P Bass? Opinions? BTW the Dunlops are 105-50 gauge, and the DR's are 105-45.
    Unicorn Bass.

2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    If you've never tried coated strings before, toss on the Dragons!

shawshank72 and UNICORN BASS like this.
  3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Surprised you didnt say to sell them both and get a set of GHS Flats. ;)

Linnin likes this.
  4. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I second the Dragon Skins.

5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    LOL! :roflmao: I tried a set of DR Neons once. I liked them at first, but they were lack-luster later on. I also found I didn't care for lower tension round core strings. Plus coated strings tend to be a Love-Hate relationship.

6. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Another vote on the Dragon Skins, but being a coated string, you're liable to have them on for awhile, you may want to play out the Dunlops first, then hit the Skins, cause waiting for the skins to play out is going to be a longer investment.

7. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Thanks to all, but I think I'll go with the skin's. Cheers.

8. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Took awhile to get back to this. I did put the Skins on, not impressed. I will play for awhile longer but they are weird, low tension and very uneven sounding. I expected them to be similar to the Black Beauties i string my 35" scale Pilot bass with. Really disappointed so far, will chime back in if any thing changes.

9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    What a bummer! First impressions count most. Move on... To GHS! :D

10. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    It's official, the DR's were crap! Put the D'Adario's that came with the bass back on, i think they are 45-105 nickels. Did a quick set up and the old Cort is back to P bass land. What's more, i now have a no buzz action of less than 2mils at the 9th fret and a tad under 1/2 mil relief. I love tilt necks, why the h**l don't all bolt on's come equipped this way? So, lesson learned. All i have to do now is off the other new set of Skin's, no way am i going to use them. Thank's for the interest.