Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by msangster, Apr 13, 2004.

1. I have a Peavey Cirrus,I don't like the strings that came on the bass they are too pingy. I was wondering from the people who own Cirruses what kind of strings would stop the pingy really bright sound. The when my fingers touch the strings there is a bright sound,you can hear the fingers pulling off of the strings. I have tried turning down the treble but I still can hear it. I would like to still be able to slap. The bass has a bubinga body and a maple neck. It is so bright sometimes I get harmonics just lifting my fingers off of the fretboard. I have owned it for about a month. I am going to get some new strings soon. Let me know what you think.

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The maple is bright to begin with, are the strings SS or nickel? With the maple I would try some nickel strings.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Sounds like stainless steel to me. Easy answer would be nickel wounds. I prefer D'Adarrio Xl Lights (100-45) on my Corvette Standard, they sound perfectly bright for about a month then the mellow out, but never are they extremely bright, nor do they ever get extremely thumpy. I last set I had on for 3 months and they still had a good slap sound.