Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by anotherbassist, May 24, 2004.

1. Hey
    So Ive had my Ibanez gsr200 for about a year now and I havent changed the strings. Ive decided that I am going to do that now and I was wondering what some good strings for slap/alt rock under $25? Also that'd be cool if they were colored too, especially black, Is there anything special I should do to put them on?
    Jason

2. The Dean Markley SR 2000 "Will Lee" , come in black and are also taperwound.........check them out.They are Stainless and tend to be the brightest of the rounds, with maybe less of a low-mid range emphasis.

http://www.juststrings.com/sr2000deanmarkleybassguitarsinglestrings.html

HOW TO RESTRING YOUR BASS

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Treena, I haven't heard anything about black SR2000's. Is this something new? I know that DR is advertising strings in various colors, but I think they're out of anotherbassist's price range. I haven't tried SR2000's, but if they're available coated or something, I'd be pretty interested.

4. Not sure how new they are. The last set I purchased (a few weeks ago) are black. Not sure what they are coated with, but I have them on my Fender 5 at the moment...........

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I like Ernie Ball's a lot, and they're inexpensive and great for slap and all types of rock. However, they are not black.

6. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I picked up a set of DR BB's from the Bass Place in Tempe Az a couple of month's ago. Cost just over $30 with taxes. I haven't tried any other coated strings before, but so far no complaints with the DR's. I saw an ad that says they are available in red, blue, black and silver.

I think you can get Ernie Ball's for under $25 shipped from Musicians Friend. I've used those in the past and liked them.

7. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England

8. Put the new strings on in the reverse order you took the old ones off 8). And I've seen Ernie Balls as expensive as $32 and as cheap as $18, so shop around.