1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by jacopnut2, Mar 18, 2009.

1. jacopnut2

jacopnut2

Jun 30, 2007
    Thinking of trying some spirocore weichts I have already tried daddario and corelli but havn't found the sound yet is this a good idea ? mostly pizz some arco needed

2. Well, there are hundreds of threads about these strings on the forum.
    Didn't you read any of them?

To make a long story short, yes, these are good strings for what you seek, but they may not satisfy you.
    Depends on your instrument, setup, etc. etc....

Ultimately you'll need to test them.
    Check the Classifieds regularly; there are always strings for sale there, at good prices...
    :)

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, what Francois said.

And, you should try some gauge of spirocores next. They should be the baseline for anything else you try, especially as a pizz player. You didn't say what you didn't like about the others, but Spirocores will do a better job of being Spirocores than the other strings you mentioned.

Weiches are a good choice, especially coming from Corellis and what I'm guessing your helicores were. If you wanted a heavier string, the Mittels should be your baseline.

4. jacopnut2

jacopnut2

Jun 30, 2007
    sorry if I did'nt read the forum the way I should have Still getting used to it I need more pizz than arco but want to be able to do some I'm not good enough ay yet for the string to make a huge difference the daddario were preludes I loved them at first but then they sort of died on me the correlis felt great but were to quiet but i want a softer or easier string and a lot of the players I like use the spiro(not that that will make them work for me but they are probable worth a try and i don't want to get caught up in string purgatory)

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I love the Weichs for arco. They sound great on my bass. You just have to be patient until they get past the twangy period.

6. Ever heard of punctuation ?
    A sentence begins with a capital on the first word, and ends with a period.
    Other marks can be used too, like the comma.
    Thanks in advance.

7. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Oh man! That stream of consciousness writing is amazing.. I read it to myself with a monotone voice going in my head and am still cracking up.

8. jacopnut2

jacopnut2

Jun 30, 2007
    Oh, I'm sorry I didn't realize that I was on a critically reviewed literary sight. In the future I shall, of course, endeavor to write in a manner that is correct in both grammar and punctuation. The last thing I would want to do is portray myself on the internet as some uneducated fool who's just waiting for someone who's apparent job it is to police internet posts for bad writing to come along and write that I am indeed a bad writer. Thank you for the criticism, as can be plainly observed, my writing will be forever more improved. Now who can help me with my previous question concerning bass strings? This is of course playfully giving it back to you.

9. E.P. Miller

E.P. Miller Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville
    Jaco, Please don't take offense, but I think you will agree that your fellow members will be more willing to read your posts (and give you the info you're looking for) if they don't have to decipher bad grammar.

I'd venture to guess that the Spirocore Weich is probably one of the most widely used strings in the DB world. Marcus is right, they are twangy (and very growly) when new. But then they mellow considerably. If you want to maintain that new sound for an extended period of time, I'm afraid the only answer is to buy new strings. I like 'em mellow.

10. Someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning. If we all took that attitude half of the posts on this site would be sent to room 101. :bassist:

11. jacopnut2

jacopnut2

Jun 30, 2007
    For the record, I would like to apologize for my earlier reply to Francois. I was really just being sarcastic and not trying to offend anyone. I don't want to come off as having a bruised ego. We're all kindred spirits who share a passion and love for the double bass. I just have an off-beat sense of humor that might not translate well when I try to write it out. Francois has, in the past, given me advice and I do respect his opinions. In the future I will think about how my replies might be viewed by my fellow TB readers. Again, apologies, and no hard feelings. Thanks

12. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Francois has been a member and sometimes moderator of these boards for more years than any of us know. He's read and replied to thousands of posts. His individual contribution to the vast information available on strings and EUB in TalkBass is unparalleled. After all that work, I can understand why he'd be a little put off with someone registering, not reading any of our previous posts and then asking a question that he has personally answered a hundred times.

I sometimes mis-spell or mis-punctuate in a post and he's never mentioned it. But, I've got a history here too. I think it's reasonable to try to "help" new members who are looking to us for guidance and not necessarily approaching it the right way. The same way that a new player who shows up at a jazz jam session and calls "Moondance" would get helpful guidance for how to get brought into the fold, rather than marginalizing themselves would from the veterans there.

It is worthwhile to check into this before you start buying strings. They are expensive and you can, as you say, fall into purgatory quite easily. If you keep asking, you'll start getting answers other than Spirocores, but none of them will save you money and unless you are looking for something very specific that you are able to describe, most of us with tons of string experience (like me) will suggest that you try Spirocores first. They are most likely what you are looking for. They're great for pizz, they work fine or better for arco and will last forever.

I don't even like think about how many strings I've used and how much money I've spent. I got a good education from it and we all have to play to our muse. Sometimes what I want to hear or what I'm working on calls for a specific type of string. I'll suggest that your muse is not that particular right now.

My first strings were Spirocore Mittels, my next 100 were (fill in the blanks) and my current strings are Spirocore Weichs. Why Weichs and not Mittels? Because for some reason my bass seems to like them better. That's all, different bass, different answer, but Spirocores are the most consistent strings on the planet for what you describe.

13. Sorry if I stepped on some people's toes, but the kind of reply that valued my harsh response was all but easy to read.
    My primary language is french, and I try to do the best I can with english, 'cause it's the language to use here.
    I just hope everyone will do the same, furthermore if english is their primary language.

That said, I think Jay got all the answers he needed so far.
    There are not that many good hybrid strings.
    Obligatos are nice, but the lower strings, the E in particular, is rolling.
    And they don't last very long, having a synthetic core.

Pirastro Flat-chromes (not the originals) are nice too, but the E doesn't match with the other strings. It's floppy and weak.

The T-I Superflexibles are another alternative, but they're higher tension than Spiro weichs.

The new Presto Balances are very nice strings, available in Orchestrals and Hybrids types, and two gauges plus solo-tuning for the orchestrals.
    They are beginning to be available in North America.
    Bob G. got them I think.

Hope this helps!

14. Dave Whitla

Dave Whitla

Apr 25, 2006
    Ireland
    And what exactly is a "hybrid" string anyway? A bowed string that sound good pizz, or a pizz string that's bowable?? For me the Evah Pirazzis do the trick. Some people find them too stiff, but for me it's just the opposite, strangely. Are they a hybrid string? Great pizz and arco sound would qualify, no? So much depends on the individual bass, all you can really do is get as much advice as you can and hope to reduce the list of potential strings you have to try on your own bass.

And just to put the punctuation boot in, because it's fun (sort of), "who's" is used only to replace "who is". The correct word should have been "whose" :bag:

15. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    This is the portion of the show where everyone starts advocating for their favorite strings. Start with Spirocores and if you're not satisfied after 6 months, then tell us what you wish was different and we can give you informed direction.

All we know about you now is that you play mostly pizz and have used Corellis and D'Addario Preludes. Perhaps, that is all you know about yourself at this point. That's okay, start somewhere, but I don't suggest, since you ask, starting with strings that have subtle qualities that turn guys like us for or against them, like Jargars, Innovations, Obligatos, Evah P's, Varicores, Superflexible Solos tuned to orchestral pitch or.....

Spirocore weichs are far better strings than either of the ones you've tried. They've been the standard almost since the invention of metal strings. Please, for the love of God, start there.

16. jacopnut2

jacopnut2

Jun 30, 2007
    I picked up a set of weichs,thank you for your suggestions.I'll let you know how i like them in the future.Thanks again