1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by vengence, Jun 4, 2011.

1. vengence

vengence

May 25, 2011
    When should I change my strings? I play my bass almost everyday for a min. Of 30 minutes.

2. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    Really depends... I'd say whenever the tone lacks the clarity that you desire. But, then again personal preference is a big factor. Many players prefer the somewhat muted sound of dead strings.

Short answer: whenever you want too ;)

3. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Aside from the sound issue (which is generally the most significant) the everyday practice will show you (w/ round wounds) which strings will go dead the fastest due to skin cell caking. Some will shake off a great deal of debris, while others will retain it. Some steel will stretch more than others; some will stretch up to a point and that's it. Playing everyday is a great way to make informed string decisions.

The amount & type of steels, winding mechanics, & diameters make for a very large amount of variables. If your playing is consistent: everyday & somewhat uniform in it's application you can make more informed choices for what YOU need to get in the sound YOU want.... Just my opinion obviously, YMMV.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    When it seems the strings are starting to get a little bit dull sounding or shortly before that. Or when theyve been on so long theyve gone fuzzy and icky looking like mold is growing on them, if you prefer that dull sound.

5. have a sealable container of Denatured alcohol ( 'Methylated Spirits' for me ) throw a new set on ya bass when U want, put the OLD set coiled up in the alkyhole for 24 hrs & it'll clean 'em up pretty much like a new set.- Works for about 4 or 5 goes /set IME.

6. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Wow , If you dont know when you should change your strings , id just play them until they break or grow mould , probably not worth the expense , the new ones will be dead again in a week anyway :)

P.S What is it you think you want anyway , Steels , Nickels , Flats , Half`s , Grounds , Round`s ...................................

7. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    Well this is probably a more persona tast question.
    The only one you can answer is yourself, it just depend from your tast, if you like more bright sound "modern sound school" or if you prefer "vintage sound school", off course now there are on the market different brands that give you both results on new strings.
    Personally I prefer change strings because they are more soften to play and they cover better all the frequency in bass sound, so if you prefer more warm sound or the inversion you can work just on your preamp or bass.
    If you played all the time off course the strings life will be shorter and than you need to replace it, it just depend what you have to do and which sound you prefer to have on your bass.
    Just try it both solutions! Cheers.
    Enrico
    YouTube
    WebSite

8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    There was a time when I was playing my basses every day in school jazz bands and combo. Then giging 5-6 nights a week, plus a show with my old band every other week... Those days, I changed them every week.

These days, don't play nearly as much as I used to unfortunately or spread my play across different basses, so I try to change them a few days before every few gigs, which is about once every 2 / 2.5 months... but if I were actually PLAYING them every day, id want to change them more...

9. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    most of the people on this site will cringe...but I can go for about 2 years before I change mine. I have pretty dry skin so I don't sweat on them a lot. Even after the hottest, heaviest of gigs, my hand are pretty dry. I play on them at least once a day in practice. Gig about every 6 weeks.

I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky's or Rotosounds...I don't feel like Iam gettin a good sound out of them untill about the 4th month

10. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I listen to my strings while my bass is in the case and not plugged in to determine when I want to change them. There is a kind of piano like clarity that I listen for........when they start to lose that clarity and sound little "thuddy" and dull then I change them.

But some like that sound. So like most said, its up to you.