1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Student (12) needs an instrument...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by MaxiMoose1220, Oct 12, 2013.

1. MaxiMoose1220

MaxiMoose1220

Oct 12, 2013
    San Jose
    I have a 12 year old who wants to learn upright bass.
    I'm really hoping to find him a used student model. It doesn't have to be pretty, or good. He's 12, and never played before. As long as the strings don't buzz toooo bad, it'll prolly be okay just to get him started right?
    I played a $40 uke for over a year and survived to buy a decent instrument.

Can anyone suggest where student model upright bass go to die? I'm thinking that probably, somewhere there are some unused student orchestra models somewhere, just holding up a wall...

If he shows any aptitude, I'll mortgage the house when he hits high school, but renting for a year is a lot, and then lessons on top of it...argh. I really want to start him on upright. It's what resonates with him, and it'll totally make him a chick magnet, right? Win/win?

I'm thinking he'll get picked up by a Google heiress or something. (It's my best plan for him unless his grades go way up...)

Thanks for any advice.

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Have you looked into renting. In a couple of years anything that fits him now will be way small and the resale market on smaller UB's is not good.

3. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    A simple google search turned up this shop. Renting a bass is the way to go. If you go and buy a "budget" bass somewhere, you're most likely to find a BSO (bass-shaped object) that's nearly impossible even for a professional to play properly. The setup and ease of playability is crucial here otherwise your kid can be injured. Just as bad, he could lose interest because it physically hurts to play. Then you're stuck with an instrument to sell. Look for a rental/purchase kind of contract so that if you decide to purchase a good instrument later on, you have some equity to work with from your rental history.

On an unrelated note, think of the initial hefty expense as an investment. If your kid really gets into it, he has something to keep him busy and away from the bad influences that plague kids his age. In addition, the competition for bass players isn't nearly as cut-throat as it is for violinists. College scholarships can be easier to obtain. At some colleges he could play in the university symphony to meet his scholarship requirements and major in something unrelated to music!

The world needs more bassists, do your part! and good luck! :hyper: