Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New stuff on Lakland website

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Jan 26, 2005.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I thought you folks might like to know there's some new material on the Lakland website. Of particular interest is a more complete description of what they do for the Skyline basses after they reach Chicago. Sounds like they do a LOT of work with them before they're boxed up for sale.

Here's the link to the Skyline section:
    Skyline description

2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I never played a US model, so I can't say how closely an xx-02 would compare to a xx-94. However it does help explain why the 55-02 I just got yesterday is such a nice instrument.

Actually, I should look for a Lakland dealer near here just to try a 55-94 and see for myself. I wonder if I'd see much of a difference.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hmmmm....I wonder if they setup the 55-01's as well?? I'm only asking because mine was setup horribly when I got it. Action was way too low and had immense fret buzz! I had it worked on but the B & E still give a little fret buzz espescially if dig in. It could be the strings as they are very 'clangy' to say the least. But it was definitely not setup!!

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I think that article has been on the site for a while, actually. I remember reading it a few months ago. :)

It is interesting, though.

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    It may depend on where you got it. Some dealers do their own "QA" before shipping, and it's fairly popular these days to push the ultra-low action setup, which only survives under a very light touch. Lotsa' folks believe it's the only way to achieve the next level of speed, accuracy, and consistency in their playing.

If you read their web site, they say ALL Skylines are finally setup at the IL shop, so if it got messed up, it had to happen after.

One other possibility is it went out on "eval" and came back "altered" and the dealer never really rechecked it before sending it to you.

Without knowing more about your bass and where you got it, it's impossible to say, but I can say one thing... mine was totally perfect.

6. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    It's got a 2005 copyright at the bottom, which IMHO, means even if it hasn't been changed, they intentionally left it up there to re-assert this is still their practice.

Without calling them to verify, I obviously don't know for sure, but I can tell you my bass darn sure plays as if it were setup there. It's an amazing bass... especially for the money!

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm pretty sure that is new. I don't remember seeing that on the Lakland site before. It is very reassuring. I'm close to 100% certain that I'm picking up a Skyline soon. No matter what else I check out, I keep coming back to Lakland, especially the 55-01 & 55-02.

8. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    No, it's old. :) I'm not sure if this link will work correctly, but try it anyway: http://web.archive.org/web/20040126025812/http://lakland.com/

Scroll down to "The Life of a Skyline"... looks like it's been there for about a year. They probably should have put it up higher on the page, heh... Who cares about that Good Charlotte guy anyway. :p

And vics, the site design is brand new (I think it went live a day or two ago), which explains the 2005 copyright.

Not that it matters, really. Skylines are still awesome basses.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You're right, I never got past the Godd Charlottte bassist's picture. :rolleyes:

10. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    The "The Life of a Skyline photo essay" is about 6 months old and it made the cut for the new website upgrade.

There's still more things that will be added to the website this year like the reintroduction of the single pickup 4-76 and 55-76 models, the new "Decade", "Darryl Jones 5 Sting" and "Duck Dunn Signature" models as well as the addition of Fred Hammon's Dark Star pickups as standard uppgrade option.

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, I know about that, which is why I mentioned went on about them "leaving" it there, which is basically the equivalent of a reassertion of the statements.

Maybe this is something you already know too, but when you redesign a site, one of the first things a decent webmaster will do is have you (re)validate the content before and after it gets redone, but before going "live". It's just good standard practice.

The bottom line is, I'm just sayin' that if the web site was reviewed that recently, the information should be considered current and validated.

Actually, I think it does matter. IMHO, it adds quality and value/appeal, which are both directly related to sales and customer satisfaction. It doesn't get much more important than that. :)

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Every step shown in that photo essay is still done to every Skyline that leaves the factory so the information contained therin is still "current and valid".

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Musician's Friend! 55-01 Tri-Burst w/Maple fretboard.

14. I've said this many times.. I've visited the Lakland Shop "many times", and each time I'm more impressed with there operation that screams quality, some of the nicest people on the Planet too.

15. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Sorry, when I said "Not that it matters" I was referring to the discussion about the date of the article, not whether they were set up at the Lakland shop or not. :) I guess I didn't make that very clear.