Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New stuff

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Lo end PUNCH, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Who's working on some nice basses right now? This forum needs a slight lift, or is it bump?... Anyway, show 'em if you got 'em. This can include but is not limited to: already finished or discarded projects.:)

2. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I have two in the works, but they are secret.

Insert evil laugh.....:bag:

3. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've got a jazz copy I built (except the neck - didn't have the resources), a single cut (wood and hardware ordered), and a double cut (have the wood, no harware - waiting to complete the single cut before I move on to this).

(You know, there's a "Where's the beef?" thread, right?)

4. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Just bought my maple top on Ebay.
    [​IMG]
    I found some nice mahogany 3/4 x 7 1/2 x 24 at a local lumber stoere (not home Depot). They call it craft wood. I'm going to order a neck from Warmoth next payday.

5. This is one I started not too long ago. I stopped all other work (non-comissioned) because this is to be my main 4 string fretted. It's got an amboyna burl top, curly maple core and quilted maple back, one piece hard maple neck with macassar ebony fingerboard. I just shaped the back of the neck this morning. It's to have a quad-coil bridge pickup and a P neck pickup.

6. Just finish my first build.

I have 4 on order

1 6 string fretless bass

1 4 string fretted bass

2 6 string guitars.

I am excited and scared to have some paying customers but dang...

Attached Files:

7. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    That may have been a wood joke, however corny it may be.
    I'm most envious of all you people with local places to get wood. I've got to drive 2.5 hours for a less than decent selection/quality or order it online. :crying:

8. that's a sweet bass, wilser...that neck looks very comfortable...

9. Thanks!

Miranda (my youngest daughter) agrees! She loves a smooth feeling maple neck.

10. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Great stuff , learned about all my custom builders here, and I am VERY grateful for the posts, pics, reviews and such. Shouts out to Bud Lecompte, Matt Schmill, Wilser(very nice work), Scott French('cuz his designs ROCK!!) and all the rest of the luthiers who share their talent and techniques here. I have seen some incredible talent in this forum.

11. Here's a couple I'm working on.

12. Thats a good looking bass Jeeperb. What type of pickups did you use?

Wilser, I like that top. Is it redwood burl? Nice work.

13. It's amboyna burl. The top is only sanded down to 80 grit. That thing is gonna POP when scraped and finished. I've already scraped a piece of scrap and it's really beautiful. Will post pics when finished.

14. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    count_funkula, do I spy a padouk board, or bloodwood?

15. Phil,

It's bloodwood. I've really come to like it as fretboard material. I haven't tried Padouk. I'm going to do a bound and blocked neck with a bloodwood fretboard soon.

16. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I'll probably make my fretless bloodwood with wenge binding. I thought I had some spare ebony, but alas :rolleyes:
    Wenge'll do fine.

17. count_funkula

Thank you I used Bartolini MC44 soap bars in it and a bart NTBT 3.3 pre amp the sound is fantastic. :) Nice looking stuff you make as well

Brandon

18. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    A couple of VB's.

Hope to be spraying this one real soon.
    [​IMG]

This one's a lefty, short scale four string with a macassar ebony top on Santos mahogany.
    [​IMG]

19. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    That's a very cool looking design.

20. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2