1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New SVT 4 Faulty?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Murph_Orpheus, Sep 22, 2010.

1. So my new SVT 4 Pro arrived today, but when I started playing through it all I got was a low distorted noise. This happens when I have it mono bridged(I do have the switch pressed in for mono bridge mode). I tried different speakon cables and leads for my bass, even tried a 2nd bass but got the same result. Also when I tried both power amp a and b separately(with the switch pressed out) I got no volume at all. Is the amp ****ed or am I doing something wrong?? :(

2. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    return it you got a bad lemon

3. ...and I thought my SVT 4 sucked. return it

4. Is it worth seeing if I can get it returned and repaired or do you reckon it's totally done in and I should go for the refund?

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    New huh? Drag. Send it back and look for used one from the St. Louis days.

6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Are you using the speakon cord you got with it? It is correctly wired for the 4 PRO in Mono Bridged mode. Not using it will result in the sound you are talking about. Did you turn off Mono Bridge mode when using each channel separately? Each channel can run a standard speakon cable no problem. Check the manual - in small print under the mono bridge section and you can see what your speakon cable should be wired as.

7. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    have you tried to use a 1/4 connector?
    a regular speakon cable doesn't work in the svt4 has to be a special wired one

8. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    I love mine are you experiencing problems with yours?

9. @Gearhead17: I did use the speakon that came with it for the mono bridged mode and yes I had the switch out(stereo) when I tried to run the power amps separately. I just used a regular 1/4 inch now and I got signal through both power amp a and b but they had the same low distorted volume as the mono bridged mode. Unfortunately, I think my new amp is just plain old broken :(

10. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Regular speakon cables work with every speakon out.

To the op.... Return it! Bite the bullet and wait for a new, fresh one if that is an option.

11. Yeah I've e-mailed the site I bought it from so waiting to hear back tomorrow. Absolutely gutted :(

12. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    You are 100% wrong and you obviously did not read the manual carefully enough.

The mono-bridge speakon connection requires a speakon wired :
    pin 1+ = + (typically the red wire) and pin 2+ = - (usually the black wire).

Can easily be done if the speakon connector can be unscrewed, otherwise, you need to remove the existing connector and buy a new one. The whole process is not very difficult at all. The easiest way to do it - use the cord Ampeg supplied (if you have it).

13. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    You won't get distortion just from having the mono switch in..... you can even run 2 cabs with it that way, but they will be out of phase.... (good to remember to save a gig).

Sounds like yours has a problem.... probably simple, assuming you have it set up right.

Simple fix too... take back, demo if required, get replacement (if you still want one).

14. It's not as simple as taking it back though, the place I bought it from is in the UK and I'm in Ireland so I'll have to ship it back. I'll wait and see what they say tomorrow about repairing it.

15. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    No..............
    Regular speakon cables will indeed work with every speakon output on the 4pro.

You won't get the full 1200 watts in bridged mode with a regular speakon cable, but it should still work without any of the problems the OP is having.
    Thats what I meant.

16. Well the amp is being picked up by a courier tomorrow and being shipped back to the store I bought it from and they're sending it to be repaired so fingers crossed it comes back to me in perfect condition!

17. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    how did it work out?

18. Waiting on it to be returned to me. It was sent back just over 2 weeks ago and I was in contact with the store I bought it from last week, they said they had a look at it and couldn't repair it so it has been sent back to the suppliers to be repaired or replaced. So fingers crossed it all works out well. Just have to be patient now.

19. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    i went though 3 slm svt4 amps with same problem. back then they took a special speak on with a double negative i believe (its been a while). it had an intermitent transistor i believe they told me. i ended up selling it. got an svt 2 non pro and never looked back. till i got my 73' svt :)

20. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    +1 on using the special speakon cable that came with the head. I had (2) Ampeg lemons and I re-packed them and sent them back ASAP......................:cool:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021